• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

core i5 @ ~90 - 100c, Please help me find solution

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

treepop

My i5 has been running @ these temps for a while now. I really haven't worried all that much since it has been super stable. After talking to a friend, who said his ran at a nice 30c I started freeking out a bit. While mine is the older core i5-750 and his is a sandy, I am still concerned.

I am looking for a good bang for the buck air cooler. I don't need THE BEST, but I would like to get a nice improvement over the stock cooler.

Slickdeals posted this:
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/54870/best-buy-corsair-h50-cpu-liquid-cooler
would be $43.30 after tax here.

Seems a bit pricey and 6 degrees hotter than the top of the line air coolers.

The other choice is the Spire Thermax Eclipse II @ $66 after shipping

Are there any other cheap options? Maybe a heatsink thats been around a while and can be found easily in the classifieds.

Thanks

It shouldn't be anywhere near that hot unless you are putting a lot of vcore into it. What's your vcore at now? (I didn't notice it in your sig). What kind of TIM are you using?

I'd highly recommend picking up that Corsair cooler, it's real inexpensive relative to other similarly performing coolers on the market. You are going to spend way more on top of the line air cooling than $40. For example, the Noctua NH-D14 is widely considered one of the best aircoolers on the market, that will run you about $80-$90.

Matt

Yeah. I thought it was pretty high.

I had another thought, that's REALLY important to me.

I DO NOT want to have to remove my motherboard in order to install whichever heat sink I buy. Does this exist?

*EDIT*
As for TIM I am using Arctic Silver 5 (but I think it's like 7 years old :( )

I don't think there is going to be any way around removing your motherboard to install a new cooler. From the looks of it, your motherboard is not on a sliding tray, nor is their wide space in the mounting plate where you can get a backplate in there without removing the tray from the case.

The TIM should be fine, despite it's age. Unless it's dried out or cracking. Did you notice any issues like that when mounting? Even for your current setup 90-100 C sounds really high, like something is amiss. If you don't want to go through the trouble of removing the motherboard necessarily, try first re-mounting your current HSF with a new coating of TIM. Small drop in the center of the IHS and let it spread naturally when you mount the heatsink. That's my method of choice, although Arctic Silver recommends the "vertical line" method (Link).

Matt

i use a Arctic Freezer 13 with my i5 . i get very gd temps with it . only cost me £26 and it is very easy to install no messing takeing out the mobo just push a few pins in .

not properly seating the cooler and cause high temps.
I ran into this the other night.

I put the cooler on with a better TIM and my temps were worse. (in a 29C room) my temps @ idle were ~40C. After I changed the TIM they were ~47 idle.

I did some research, removed the cooler, cleaned it up again (with brake cleaner, and that worked 10x better than alcohol) put the left over on it, seated it much better on the cpu, and voia temps were back to 40C @ idle

Last edited:
The new EVGA cooer may be the best performance /dollar cooler air today. Available on Amazon for about $50 shipped I think, $60 at newegg. Can't get a link to work.
See reviews.

Last edited:
alrighty. I was impatient and bought the H50 on sale @ best buy for $40. I have a few questions and concerns.

During the installation I had a brain fart and installed the radiator without the fan. Harmless right? WRONG. The screw went through some of the wavy metal that goes throughout the radiator. It didn't puncture anything, but I am concerned it will cause performance issues. Will it?

I am running prime 95 right now and my hottest core is hitting 60celcius after about 15min of running prime. I had an extra 120mm fan lying around so I am running the setup in a push pull arrangement. My core voltage is 1.232 (according to cpuz). I am overclocked to 200x17. Are these temps decent?

Thanks

60 C isn't bad for an Intel system. And you didn't damage the rad by running the screw into the fins. Luckily they designed it where they don't have a water channel running under the screw holes and the little bit you bent the fins there won't hurt performance.

60 C isn't bad for an Intel system. And you didn't damage the rad by running the screw into the fins. Luckily they designed it where they don't have a water channel running under the screw holes and the little bit you bent the fins there won't hurt performance.

whew. good to know. Thanks :) So what kind of temps would the MECCA of air cooling probably be getting? 8c lower (@ the same decibles of course)? So maybe 52c?

Yeah, probably in that range of maybe a little cooler. Or conversely, you could install some very quiet fans on the air cooler and still have temps such as yours. Heatsinks such as the NH-D14, TRUE, True Spirit, Ven-X, Silver Arrow and Megahalems all perform quite a bit better than the H50. But the H50 isn't a bad choice by any means. Plus, you might want to try messing around with airflow through the H50 radiator. Try it with the fans blowing into the case through the rad and then try with the fans exhausting from the case through the rad and see which works better for your particular setup.

Well. I have been running prime 95 @ the same voltage and 4ghz 20x200 and it's stable thus far! Max temps are 69 on the hottest core. I am nearing that threshold for "approved temps" I think. Which is 74 right?

One of the main reasons I bought the H50 was the ability to mod it later. I thought it would be really cool to add a better radiator and reservoir later. With these mods I would assume I would be nearing or surpassing the other options at around the same price...maybe more. (Kind of a baby step into water cooling)

Thoughts?

*EDIT*
I was thinking of this mod:

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/647943-guide-h50-replace-tubes-res-mod.html

dropped his temps 23c!

Cost would be:
$5 for tubing
$22 for res
I have twist tie somewhere

What do yall think? For $60 I have a "decent" water cooling rig. In a couple years I could splurg on a nicer inline pump/water block....

Last edited:
I have an i5-650 running @3.8 all day and I used a new Intel i7-870 cooler on it. Sits in the mid 30s most of the time and is silent. These coolers are available anywhere for cheap and you won't have to remove the mobo.

I have an i5-650 running @3.8 all day and I used a new Intel i7-870 cooler on it. Sits in the mid 30s most of the time and is silent. These coolers are available anywhere for cheap and you won't have to remove the mobo.

link please. Also. What are your temps under load?

I was thinking of this mod:

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/647943-guide-h50-replace-tubes-res-mod.html

dropped his temps 23c!

Cost would be:
$5 for tubing
$22 for res
I have twist tie somewhere

What do yall think? For $60 I have a "decent" water cooling rig. In a couple years I could splurg on a nicer inline pump/water block....

Don't do it. That is pure bullsh*t. You can not lower your temps by adding a reservoir. It will take a little longer to get to your max delta-t, but the end temps will be the same. If you replace the radiator then you can get lower temps, but at that point you are far better off just building a full cooling system.

Don't do it. That is pure bullsh*t. You can not lower your temps by adding a reservoir. It will take a little longer to get to your max delta-t, but the end temps will be the same. If you replace the radiator then you can get lower temps, but at that point you are far better off just building a full cooling system.

I was thinking that. But if you look at what I paid for the water block and pump ($40) it might be a wise move. No?

I was thinking that. But if you look at what I paid for the water block and pump ($40) it might be a wise move. No?

It is a good deal for the system, but I don't see the point of modding it with a reservoir unless it has leaked and you just want to repair it. You are more than welcome to do it, but don't expect any drop in temperature unless your system is defective and has air trapped in it.

It is a good deal for the system, but I don't see the point of modding it with a reservoir unless it has leaked and you just want to repair it. You are more than welcome to do it, but don't expect any drop in temperature unless your system is defective and has air trapped in it.

Well I was thinking of adding a res. and a better radiator later. Those 2 things can be found on the uber cheap in classifieds.

So I have a decent starting point is all I am saying.

Yes you can do that no problem, but it is wasteful to just install a reservoir without upgrading the radiator.

Back