• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 860 for a Newbie -- Make Sense?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GamingDaemon

Hello Fellow OC-ers,

I am thinking about a completely new rig (cannibalizing some parts from my existing machine), and centering the new build around the core i7 860, only because I don't want to spend as much on the 870 (this will be my first foray into the core i7 world).

My goal is to play games, but use HT for the occasional Blu-Ray ripping. So, I am thinking of a mild overclock to 3.3 or 3.4GHz, with Turbo enabled so when certain games call for a single core, I can boost up to 4GHz.

Does that make sense?

Also, I love Xigmatek coolers. Does anyone know if the brackets for the 1156 are available yet? And if so, where?

Thanks in advance :confused:

Hello Fellow OC-ers,

I am thinking about a completely new rig (cannibalizing some parts from my existing machine), and centering the new build around the core i7 860, only because I don't want to spend as much on the 870 (this will be my first foray into the core i7 world).

My goal is to play games, but use HT for the occasional Blu-Ray ripping. So, I am thinking of a mild overclock to 3.3 or 3.4GHz, with Turbo enabled so when certain games call for a single core, I can boost up to 4GHz.

Does that make sense?

Also, I love Xigmatek coolers. Does anyone know if the brackets for the 1156 are available yet? And if so, where?

Thanks in advance :confused:
ripping BD/dvd takes no cpu power at all... it is the encoding/transcoding that will. i7 860 is a good pick, even more now. since microcenter has it for $229 walk in price only. as far as coolers go there are only 5 i could find at performance-pcs.com for LGA1156.

ripping BD/dvd takes no cpu power at all... it is the encoding/transcoding that will. i7 860 is a good pick, even more now. since microcenter has it for $229 walk in price only. as far as coolers go there are only 5 i could find at performance-pcs.com for LGA1156.

So if I don't have a MicroCenter near me, what's a good price for the 860?

well if you buy the cpu+mobo you can get discounts.. $20 off with mobo purchase at newegg and i think $16 off at ewiz.com.

Back