• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core i7 920 cooling options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Electroplated

Hey every one I am new hear :D been hear a few times before looking for info finally decided to register.

I have recently just got myself a new card gigabyte GTX 670 wind-force OC and some new ram modules 3x4GB 1600 mhz.

But I am a bit light on cash at the moment and cant afford a new motherboard and CPU.

So im looking to OC my i7 920 soon I was wondering weather to go water or not with it im not looking to push 4Ghz I want to aim around 3.6Ghz.

Can anyone recommend a cooler that would suit this?

If you're strapped for cash, watercooling may not be the best way to go for now.

There are self-contained water coolers, such as the Corsair HXX series, but they perform mostly similar to after-market air coolers. You could try the Hyper212 from coolermaster, which I have used and found to work quite well for an air cooler. Of course, how fast you are able to go will depend on your specific processor.

On the other hand, if you want to spend the money on WC'ing now, if you buy an X79 chipset in the future (2011 socket), your cooler would be compatible, so you wouldn't have to upgrade that again.

For a 3.6 overclock on an i7 920, a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will easily do the job and it's also easy on the wallet. Hell, you should be able to go to 4.0 on that 920 and an EVO unless you have an unusually hot running processor (it does happen, especially with Nehalem).

Hay thanks for the info :D

I have save'd up a bit of cash since i was last hear and had a look around and would like to know if anyone knows if it's just good for me to stick with the Hyper 212 EVO or i was looking at getting a CoolerMaster TPC 812 has anyone hear done testing on this cooler.

Thank you :D

How bad is "Strapped for cash?" 20$ go with the a coolmaster 212 plus. 50$ I'd say a true spirit 140.

Hyper212 Evo and True Spirit 140 are your best options. You can find the original TRUE Spirit for somewhere in between as well.

I still like the prolimatech megahalems with 2 fans on it using a y cable to the motherboard pwm header. The extra pull fan shaves off a few degrees and lets you have a quieter system. A couple scythe 1600 rpm fans with sfdf bearings should last forever and be a perfect balance of silence and performance. I can't think of anything I'd trade it for. Those giant mega coolers scare me.

Back