• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Correct sequence to link fans to PSU connections..?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsYcO CyBrArIaN

Just wondering what would be the ultimate best way to hook your fans up(Auxillary fans that is).
Out of the plethora of open ends I began to wonder what would be the most efficient sequence to use.
Im assuming that the integral components require direct connection to main leads from PSU but should all things(like fans) be connnected to the PSU directly for optimum performance and stability? The HDD has an available connection so does the DVD/CD drive, as everyone knows. Is there a better or worse way to connect in series? Or are series bad altogether as far as a desktop system is concerned?
It is working fine now but the fans were surging and stopping altogether (except the CPU cooler). One of the four wires for the one of the molexs was toching some video card components I dont know if this was the problem but when I move the wires in my hand the power gos on or off depending on which way I move the wires so it seems like its connector but ive gotten other advise that mabey its the PSU, depending on how im rigged up to the PSU. Contemplating my connections to the PSU I began to doubt my original connection schematics and started to type here so....
So im wondering if anyone knows the appropriate schematics for wiring ones case. Im not sure so better safe than sorry, right?
All responses are greatly appreciated.:eek:

when connecting molex connectors, from my experience, the order in which you make the connections is completely irrelevant. It is a good idea to avoid using mobo headers, and always use the psu leads however. in your situation, it sounds like one of your leads was shorting out. it sounds like if you make sure the wires on the problem molex are connected good you could easily make sure they stay that way with a little electrical tape. if you do that and then you still have problems i would start to wonder about your psu, but i wouldnt worry yet.

I'm taping now.
Would the physical contact of the one of the wires to the top of a chip on my graphics card be bad?

Back