• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corsair 520HX enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHODAN

I have a 520HX in the build in my signature. I am considering reusing it in a new i5-2500K build.

Will the 520HX be enough for a single-GPU (probably 6850) rig with multiple HDD's? Will it allow for a good overclock on the 2500K?

If not, what should I get? Is the low cost TX-650 good, or should I step up to HX or AX?

Last edited:
Yes, it will be fine.

650TX is a great model also. The HX is modular, and the AX are their premium line.

Even overclocked, even with a 4 x 3.5" HDD array? That would be great. I don't mean to sound incredulous, it just that some people make it sound like you need 600+ watts just to book a quad-core...

Edit: It seems I'm covering old ground. Other than the HDD's.

Last edited:
Even overclocked, even with a 4 x 3.5" HDD array? That would be great. I don't mean to sound incredulous, it just that some people make it sound like you need 600+ watts just to book a quad-core...

Shodan,

The 6850 cards aren't particularly high power comsumption units.

Here's a good test done here:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/9

That's for the whole system. Your HX520 will handle a single 6850 quite nicely.

Four hard drives isn't a problem either, your start-up will consume the most other than gaming but hard drives by themselves don't require much power at all, even four of them.

Like RT said. HDD's use the most power on spinup (10W?) thats it.

Those some people are just plain wrong.

Back