• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair air 240 build (First Build advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah I love the design of the air 240 case, and from what I gather for a small form factor case it should be easy enough for a first time builder. I can see why you'd consider the h4440 case, really nice. First I've seen of it.

I'm a bit stuck for building now. The rest of the parts I'll be getting on my birthday. Next month. When I build I'll be sure to post though :)

Didn't realize you were a first time builder. The case is probably one of the friendliest cases for building an mATX/ITX system. The cables don't need to be routed with any degree of care or finesse, and you don't need to secure them to the back of the mobo tray with zip ties so they lie flat and the side panel can be put back on, thanks to the very cavernous "PSU/HDD" section at the "back/side" of the case.

Just a word of warning, I was watching the Hardware Canucks review of the 240 on youtube and they said that it scratches and dents VERY easily compared to most cases, so you'll want to take extra care when you build it that you don't scratch any of the panels on the case. Might not be a bad idea to put the little rubber feet (without sticking them, just resting) on the side of the case that's laying flat on your table while you build, so you don't scratch the frame/back side panel of the case. Given how fragile this case is for scratches, I'd suggest getting it totally naked (take of the front and both side panels) to build. That way if you do scratch the frame, it'll be covered up when you put it all back together.

Didn't realize you were a first time builder. The case is probably one of the friendliest cases for building an mATX/ITX system. The cables don't need to be routed with any degree of care or finesse, and you don't need to secure them to the back of the mobo tray with zip ties so they lie flat and the side panel can be put back on, thanks to the very cavernous "PSU/HDD" section at the "back/side" of the case.

Just a word of warning, I was watching the Hardware Canucks review of the 240 on youtube and they said that it scratches and dents VERY easily compared to most cases, so you'll want to take extra care when you build it that you don't scratch any of the panels on the case. Might not be a bad idea to put the little rubber feet (without sticking them, just resting) on the side of the case that's laying flat on your table while you build, so you don't scratch the frame/back side panel of the case. Given how fragile this case is for scratches, I'd suggest getting it totally naked (take of the front and both side panels) to build. That way if you do scratch the frame, it'll be covered up when you put it all back together.

Sounds like solid advice to me. I will do exactly that. Can I put it on something soft? I will be wearing a grounding strap for any static.

It's killing me having a pile of parts all boxed up and ready to go in my room but being unable to finish. Though I can't say I'm not a little worried about damaging anything during installation, lots of money on the line.

Sounds like solid advice to me. I will do exactly that. Can I put it on something soft? I will be wearing a grounding strap for any static.

It's killing me having a pile of parts all boxed up and ready to go in my room but being unable to finish. Though I can't say I'm not a little worried about damaging anything during installation, lots of money on the line.

It's never a good idea to buy some parts today and some more parts a month from now. Your return window with most retailers is 15-30 days. Say you buy a MOBO today but can't build for 2 months. What happens if the board is DOA? Your only recourse will be a long and arduous RMA process.

You should always save up and buy all the parts at the same time.

You can build on something soft, yes. The only issue with that is that soft things like fuzzy blankets and towels can build up static. A fair bit of it, if we compare, say, a fuzzy towel to a wood table. Is that a problem? No. But I prefer to avoid it. Thats why I thought using the case feet without sticking them down was a good idea. A towel is fine though you can definitely use one.

^^ Good points, all around.

The case is probably fine to purchase early (as long as you grabbed it on sale or something, since it'll likely go on sale some time between now and black friday...), but the RAM and SSD, you definitely should have waited on. Prices on both are likely to go down and hopefully you won't need to return either...

IMO the most important parts to wait on are the RAM and MOBO. Those are the 2 parts most likely to give issues. Generally speaking, the CPU will be fine, as will the PSU if you choose a quality unit. Other items come down to price more than anything else. Although, defective SSDs and HDDs are a possibility.

I hadn't originally planned to buy the parts and wait. Simply ended up having to spend the money elsewhere and don't have the money spare to finish yet. I've tested all the parts i can. The SSD, RAM, graphics card and I've checked around all of the case for any damage. Better cross my fingers on the motherboard. I bought everything on deals especially the RAM and SSD. I'm from the UK and Black Friday doesn't seem to be as impressive over here, unless I'm just not looking in the right places.

I hadn't originally planned to buy the parts and wait. Simply ended up having to spend the money elsewhere and don't have the money spare to finish yet. I've tested all the parts i can. The SSD, RAM, graphics card and I've checked around all of the case for any damage. Better cross my fingers on the motherboard. I bought everything on deals especially the RAM and SSD. I'm from the UK and Black Friday doesn't seem to be as impressive over here, unless I'm just not looking in the right places.

Make sure you run Memtest on that RAM.

Haven taken into account whats been said about how I shouldn't have bought the parts so early I've managed to get my build finished early. Have to say I'm really pleased. I'll be getting some pictures on soon. Although I'm pleased with the results I cant help but already want some improvements. For starters I want a couple of red 120mm LED fans, I'd like a nice warm glow to fill the case but I don't want it to be stupidly bright. Any suggestions? The stock CPU cooler is also a little ugly but I'll probably be sticking with that.

Big thanks to everyone that's given help and advice!

Those look amazing. With all those colour and brightness options I'd have expected it to be more expensive. Purchased. By the time they come I'll have all the little niggles with my build ironed out and be ready for them. Thanks!

Those look amazing. With all those colour and brightness options I'd have expected it to be more expensive. Purchased. By the time they come I'll have all the little niggles with my build ironed out and be ready for them. Thanks!

Just make sure you got the right length :)

I think mine showed up in ~6 days?
Didn't take long at all.

I need to get me some lights to fancy up my main rig. Kinda bland. Post up some pics of this 240 build when you get them in.

Hey ATM- how do you mount these lights? I want to get one. Do they come with sticky tape or something? Would a 30cm unit be enough to light the inside of a 760T?

They're adhesive backed already, you just peel and stick.

As far as lighting, measure around the inside of the case where you want to stick the strip.

They're adhesive backed already, you just peel and stick.

As far as lighting, measure around the inside of the case where you want to stick the strip.

I know it will fit and where to put it already- I think you misunderstood. My question is will the light intensity of a 30cm (12 inch) strip be enough to satisfactorily illuminate the entire inside of a 760T?

I went for the 30cm option. I probably should have waited and measured like you say but I think it should be enough. Very excited :)

I know it will fit and where to put it already- I think you misunderstood. My question is will the light intensity of a 30cm (12 inch) strip be enough to satisfactorily illuminate the entire inside of a 760T?

They're incredibly bright.
But that'll be a light from one direction instead of all directions.

Ok so i finally got some pictures. Its nothing flashy but its my first build and im really pleased with how its turned out. Just waiting on the lighting now!

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Last edited:
Back