• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H-50 or Noctua NH-D14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Humiliation

Registered
I've been searching the whole internet about these but didn't find anything for what I looked. I now know that the Noctua cools better but it's too damn huge and will block my case window, or maybe not even fit the case.

1. Is the H50 enough for Intel i5-4690K at 4ghz (I won't change the fans, stock will stay)

2. Is there a big noise different?

3. Any extra/ FYI? :p

THANKS!:)

Edit: Which are the best of these if not the H50/60

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-cpu-cooler-kuhlerh2o650
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zalman-cpu-cooler-lq310
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-cpu-cooler-kuhlerh2o950
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rls12v24pkr1

Last edited:
No. The H50 will not be enough cooling for the 4690K. I would use the NH-D14 over the H50.

However if size/space is a concern for you, and you're deadset on using an AIO, then you might get away with a H80i. Thicker rad and better fans over the aged H50.

No. The H50 will not be enough cooling for the 4690K. I would use the NH-D14 over the H50.

However if size/space is a concern for you, and you're deadset on using an AIO, then you might get away with a H80i. Thicker rad and better fans over the aged H50.

What about the other list or the H60?

If you still plan on using the case that was in the other thread you won't fit anything bigger than a single 120 rad. These solutions don't offer a lot of cooling TBH.

What case?

Corsair carbide spec 01 IIRC

OP, what's your case budget?
That Corsair is "meh" for airflow capability. It would get blown away by quite a few cases in the ~$70-80 range.

Hmm, Cooler Master K380, 350, 321 maybe?. Because I don't have lots of varieties in my country and shipping cases is too costy.

I would get the 200R and one extra fan.

The 200R will fit the D14 with room to spare, and if you stick the extra fan in the lower slot on the side panel you'll get some cooler air to your GPU :thup:

Also, to answer your initial questions:
- No, I wouldn't run any single-fan AIO for your chip.
- Yes, the NH-D14 is immensely quieter than almost any AIO.
- The NH-D14 outperforms the vast majority of AIOs, with only the top end AIOs beating it on temps (the AIOs are still louder and more costly though)

I would get the 200R and one extra fan.

The 200R will fit the D14 with room to spare, and if you stick the extra fan in the lower slot on the side panel you'll get some cooler air to your GPU :thup:

Also, to answer your initial questions:
- No, I wouldn't run any single-fan AIO for your chip.
- Yes, the NH-D14 is immensely quieter than almost any AIO.
- The NH-D14 outperforms the vast majority of AIOs, with only the top end AIOs beating it on temps (the AIOs are still louder and more costly though)

THanks, I'll probably go with your idea, although I really wanted a window panel :shock:

The D15 beats the D14 by about 1c according to Frostytech in 150W load scenarios. They do synthetic testing so as to eliminate a lot of the testing variables that skew results and cause such inconsistency in most reviews. The main advantage of the D15 is it provides better clearance to the RAM.

The D15 beats the D14 by about 1c according to Frostytech in 150W load scenarios. They do synthetic testing so as to eliminate a lot of the testing variables that skew results and cause such inconsistency in most reviews. The main advantage of the D15 is it provides better clearance to the RAM.

Do you have a link for these testings? If the difference is really only 1c... I dont think I'd care so much. seen "benchmarks" from linus and other "Celeb" computer guys that showed a relatively massive improvement. That extra clearance is nice though!

Do you have a link for these testings? If the difference is really only 1c... I dont think I'd care so much. seen "benchmarks" from linus and other "Celeb" computer guys that showed a relatively massive improvement. That extra clearance is nice though!

FrostyTech NH-D15 Review

The different tests use different hotplate settings. So AMD, 115X, and 2011 are all different settings to represent relative heat outputs.

Back