• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50 Darn good cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bf2

Registered
when you set it up right. I recently installed the h-50 on my system according to manufacture instructions but got horrible temps idling at 45-50c with load temp of max 84.Then I reversed the fan to point airflow out, and got minimal improvement or about the same. I do have a lot of heat going in my case due to all the parts I have which I will list below. I aslo just recently got a new case coming from an antec 1200, I got the coolermaster sniper black edition, just because I liked the way it looked. Anyways I ended up putting the H-50 in front of hte case using velcro only on the bottom and side then secured with with a tiny sleeving wire I had left over. It was a nice fit. I tuned on the computer and couldnt believe the results I was seeing. I'm coming from having a thermaltake ultra 120 extreme which always idled around 44, then I switched that to a noctua c12p which did about the same but was low rise and let me install a fan on the side case. But now I got this h50 just because I got a new case and like the way the h50 looks and simplicity. I've never had my i7 920 even hit the 30's but here it is and I just wanted to share it with you.
Ambient temp at time of screenshot was 76 ferenheit and cput is at 1.3 volts.
my most recent specs: Psu: Corsair 1000w hx

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 3.6

Ram:12 gig of Corsair dominator and gskill

Hard Drive : x 2 120gig Vortex ssd Raid 0, x 2x 500g, 1.5 tera storage
Video Card: Evga GeForce GTX 280 x2 in Sli

Sound Card: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi Titanium)

Speakers/Headphones: SENNHEISER HD 485 Headphones

Keyboard : Logitech G19 keyboard

Mouse: Logitech G9 Laser Mouse

Mouse Surface: FUNC INDUSTRIES Archetype

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard: Evga x58sli

Computer Case: Cooler master sniper

Cpu Cooler : Corsair h-50

corsairh50ss.png
corsairh50002-1.png
corsairh50001-Copy.jpg
corsairh50004.jpg

My old case for size comparison
10-30-09063-Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Idle temps don't mean anything, how does it do under load? Use a program like Prime95, click "Just stability testing" then select "Small FFT" and start it.

I'd like to see a comparison to your TRUE, but I have a feeling you won't want to reinstall that.

Idle temps don't mean anything, how does it do under load? Use a program like Prime95, click "Just stability testing" then select "Small FFT" and start it.

I'd like to see a comparison to your TRUE, but I have a feeling you won't want to reinstall that.
Word, load temps or BUST! Dont forget to enable HT as well when testing.

I have a feeling the temps wont be much different than a TRUE either... :confused:

Ok I did a quick test . Here is a screenshot. I tried prime 95 large fft like you said. I did notice that on cpuz the vcore jumped from 1.3 to 1.34, is that normal? Anyways here is a screen shot. I'm ok with the results, I know idles temps don't mean anything im just happy its in the 30's for the first time. I'm sure I would have different temps if I did not have two very hot video cards in my system. I also like the fact that my sytem is near silent :)2

Attachments

• ffts.jpg
    ffts.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 690
Under 80C, its doing its job! What did your TRUE do at the same clockspeed?

You cant lower your Vcore? 1.34v seems a tad high for a D0 at your clocks...

Under 80C, its doing its job! What did your TRUE do at the same clockspeed?

You cant lower your Vcore? 1.34v seems a tad high for a D0 at your clocks...

My vcore is at 1.28 on the bios, but it show 1.3 on cpuz, then it shoots up to 1.34 when running prime 95, any idea why? My true was idling at 40-s and loading to max of 88. I ebay'ed it. I remember the base not sitting well which is why I think it did not give me good results.

How do you like the Storm Sniper case? I wanted to get it when it first came out but didn't have the cash. Now I see that it has jumped like 30 bucks in price. WTF?

How do you like the Storm Sniper case? I wanted to get it when it first came out but didn't have the cash. Now I see that it has jumped like 30 bucks in price. WTF?

I really like it due to the tooless design and the big fans it has which make it quiet. Installing hard drives was very easy, plus it has a hole in the back plate if I ever want to change the cpu without taking out the mobo, plus its just the right size not to big , not to small.

Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration) enabled?
I think I know what it is , on my evag bios, its called turbo mode in the cpu area, and I enabled that a few days ago just for the heck of it. I did not notice any change, but im sure that is it, becuase I don't see any llc in my bios cpu area.I will disable that and post later.

My friend was going on and on about this cooler. He loves it, I was skeptical at first but it seems to be owning if setup right. I think he has it on his C2D, with a oc to 4+GHz.

Temps looks good indeed. Your ambient temperature is?
Indeed you can try to lower your Vcore. You'll shave a couple of degrees. :)
And about your TRUE if you've lapped it and do a washer mod you should have ~ same temps as H50.
Ah, and try latest RealTemp beta. It's a little bit more polished.

I see the general direction in this thread.

Darn good cooler. Just don't do exactly what the manufacturer recommends and you'll get the same temps as another good cooler like a TRUE. Try it with TWO HS push pull fans like a high end cooler.

Congrats on purchasing two identical performing coolers, or close to it.

Now you can get watercooling next, you know you want to.

My true was idling at 40-s and loading to max of 88.

Am I the only one who noticed this or thinks this is way off? A temp of 88*C seems WAY too high for that sort of overclock. I can't imagine the base could be that bad to produce those results; unless you were using a really low speed fan or going fanless, I'd expect the TRUE to perform within a few degrees of the H50.

I think I know what it is , on my evag bios, its called turbo mode in the cpu area, and I enabled that a few days ago just for the heck of it. I did not notice any change, but im sure that is it, becuase I don't see any llc in my bios cpu area.I will disable that and post later.

I'm certain Turbo Mode is just Turbo Mode...the feature that sets the CPU multi at x21 provided certain conditions are met and not the setting that controls anything with the voltage. I think LLC is also called Vdroop control or something.

You should be able to do 3.6 without setting v-core from stock or very close to it, in my opinion. You should be able to push a lot higher with that v-core; 4.2 could be doable. The temps would climb though, even without adding more juice.

Back