• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50 Push/Pull Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

combatant3219

Registered
Hi,

Normally I build my own PC's but I picked up an Alienware Aurora R3 for pretty much nothing a few months ago and upgraded the RAM, and added a GTX 680 and an SSD.

I'm looking at doing my first overclock beyond the factory overclock to 4.1Ghz that it came with.

The cooler in it is a Corsair H50 which currently has just one stock fan which according to this (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/2/) has specs of 59CFM and static pressure of 3.57 mm H20.

I want to run two fans in push/pull and have 2 Enermax TB Silencefans at home (http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=4&lv1=32&no=143) which have a higher CFM at 71 but a lower static pressure of 1.676 mm H20 which leads to my question.

Am I better off just using the 2 enermax fans or should I use the stock fan with it's higher static pressure for the "pull" and an enermax for the "push"?

According to page 6 of the review I linked earlier (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1025/6/), using two Noctua fans which have a similar static pressure to my Enermax fans but a lower CFM they seemed to achieve some decent results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would go with the 2 new fans you are buying.

That being said, each time I have installed a h50 I have used a standard moderate CFM case fan to push and the corsair stock fan to pull the air. You want the stronger fan to be on the pull side if you do that.

The 2 identical fans shouldn't be a problem though and I would think would actually be preferred to my set up.

Not sure what static pressure plays into this argument but I just went by CFM when deciding how to configure.

Both of my H50 installs worked perfectly with no noise or malfunction so far, going on 1 yr.

Edit: test all configurations, why not!

Thanks. I already have the fans at home so I can possibly try both configs.

I was just curious whether the fan with higher static pressure would be better for the pull as I've read that higher static pressure could help push the air more effectively over the resistance caused by the radiator.

I'm just not sure if this is valid or not. First thing though I have to pick up a set of screws so I can attach the second fan.

You know you'd actually get better performance from a Hyper 212..... Depending on what fans you're looking at it make even compete on price.....

Higher staic pressure and also higher speed fans do better in push, data proves that. Always put the higher CFM fan on pull. Mismatching fans can make for odd noises due to harmonics etc, but it won't hurt the fans.

Still, the above post says it all. The H50 has a poor block to remove heat from the CPU. It's rad is so small. One way to look at it is why did Corsair make a H60, H80, H100 if the H50 was so good?

Also, the H50 is cheap. Real watercooling for a CPU is over $100, good long term upgradable is wayyy over $100.

So, play with your fans, get two 3000 RPM 38mm thick fans in push pull to get good temps. Or buy a $70 air cooler with a quiet fan. Or even the 212 at under $40 with shipping for the same if not better temps.

Sorry, we had many come here dissapointed with the H50/60/was there a 70? Blame the awesome marketing. And read deep into reviews here and other places first.

Thanks for the repsponses guys. I know that it's not the ideal cooler but if I can avoid changing over the entire thing I'd prefer that if possible. Mainly because I've already spent a fair amount on upgrades and I'm not sure the wife would be too happy! lol

If I did go down that track I'd possible look at the H80.

I'm going to aim for a 4.5-4.8Ghz overclock so I guess I'll just have to see what temps are like and go from there.

I already have two fans at home so don't have to spend anything if I use those. They are pushing approx 80CFM and static pressure of 1.7 mm h2o. What are your thoughts on these specs?

At the end of the day I guess I'll see how I go with the overclock/temps and if I'm not happy I'll weigh up the cost of a new cooler etc.

What are your opinions of a 4.8Ghz overclock on the H50 with a 2600K? Think it can handle it?

I heard alot of complains with H50 ie. leakage.......so I bought the H80 :) ...its good, it keeps my phenom 1100t at around 30c idle and maximum 41 when playing games :D....and the two fans come along with it :)

Thanks, I just got a pair of better fans to install on the H50. I had my 2600K up to 4.8Ghz and max temps were 81*C so I need to try out the new fans to see what they can do and maybe dial back the OC a bit.

Because I have an Alienware system the options available in BIOS are somewhat limited so as a noob to overclocking I'm just trying to decipher what options I can actually change to try and get things more stable. I could pass Intel Burn Test, Prime 95 Small FFT for about 10 Hours and I was running blend last night which was running for 3 hours but then must have BSOD some time during the night when I was sleeping. Doh!

Just gotta work on Stability. Also, is core voltage reading in CPU-Z accurate because I can't actually manually set VCore in BIOS, I just have options for "Dynamic CPU VCore Offset" and "VID Override for max turbo ratio" so still trying to work things out.

Thanks.

Well I found out the fan on the Rad in the Aurora is actually considerably stronger than the stock Corsair Fan. Alienware/Dell has installed a Delta fan which is good for 148.34CFM & max static pressure of 15.29mmH2O.

I know it's better to run matched fans, but is it detrimental to keep the Delta fan as the "Pull" and use a Corsair Fan at approx 79CFM and 3.2mmH2O as the "Push"?

So far my OC is going okay. I can get 4.6Ghz on my 2600K with max temp in Intel Burn Test of 72*C and I can get stable at 4.8Ghz but my max temp goes up to about 81*C in Intel Burn Test (Typically it's hovering around 75-77*C though when @ 4.8Ghz). I don't really want to go any higher than 4.8Ghz.

Cheers.

Last edited:
You want the push to be the higher pressure fan, no question. The weaker push fan will starve the stronger pull fan.

I expect this H50 to be trashed and you to move to real WC soon.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain the theory behind having the stronger fan as the push?
Other posts I've read elsewhere have stated the opposite. I'm just trying to work out what is correct and will work best for me.

As an alternative, do you think I could be better off using the 2 Corsair fans with the specs I previously posted, or just keep the one stronger Delta Fan on the Rad?

I'm pretty new to WC so any insight/opinion you can give me would be great.

No doubt my next build will have real WC, but for the time being I'll be sticking with what I've got. My wife already says I spend to much on computer stuff! lol

Back