• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H50 vs TR Venomous X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayson

I'm looking to buy a new cooler. I'd either get a Venomous X and run it in push-pull or get a Corsair H50. I'll be doing some light OCing (not too much on vcore) so there won't be a ton of heat. Noise is a big concern. The quieter the better. Any thoughts?

They will be very close to the same results. The H50 needs push/pull and reversing the airflow to pull cool air into the case, that can mess up your case airflow.

Minor overclocking? The Ven is easier.

Both use fans, so it isn't like noise will be different between the two. The Venomous X will probably be easier to install, unless your case has sufficient room for an H50. Maintenance wise, the VX has no moving parts other than the Fan and also contains no fluids.

For both a light and a heavy overclock, the Venomous X will probably be a better purchase given that it is a) typically cheaper b) less possibility of part failure c) typically achieves better temperatures due to the fact that you purchase your own fan with it, and the fan is what makes all of the temp difference.

Noise is a big concern. The quieter the better. Any thoughts?
Noctua NH-D14. Overkill for your Wolfdale but you can keep it fanless.
Also I kept my E8400 @3.6GHz fanless (distance to TJMax=30 in Linpack at 26°C room temperature) with Scythe Ninja rev.B.
Antec P182 is my case (Scythe S-Flex 800 intake and Noctua P12 ULNA exhaust).

Recently picked up an H50 via local CL sale for $50, just to toy around with. And was so happy, I sold my Noctua NH U12P for $40. So a $10 'upgrade'.

I think it is a great little cooler. Im exhausting it out the back of the Antec 1200, and it is keeping me at around 59c @3.5GHz after an hour of OCCT (linpack). Idle is around 32c. And in game is hasn't gotten over 45c on any game.

In the end, not a huge drop in idle temps, but I was up around 70c at the same settings on the Noctua under load. Im plenty happy.

Recently picked up an H50 via local CL sale for $50, just to toy around with. And was so happy, I sold my Noctua NH U12P for $40. So a $10 'upgrade'.

I think it is a great little cooler. Im exhausting it out the back of the Antec 1200, and it is keeping me at around 59c @3.5GHz after an hour of OCCT (linpack). Idle is around 32c. And in game is hasn't gotten over 45c on any game.

In the end, not a huge drop in idle temps, but I was up around 70c at the same settings on the Noctua under load. Im plenty happy.

That's good. What kind of fans are you using? Are you using push-pull? What did you set the fan speed for the case such as the top exhaust, the 3 intake fans, etc...?

I mounted it on the bottom exhaust (obviously) sandwiching it between the stock tri-cool, and a Scythe S-flex 1600rpm that I already had, exhausting out the back of the case. I figured it had to have better static pressure specs than the stock H50 fan. Although, it is apparently made by Akasa, and they make decent fans. But it feels really cheap.

Fairly similar CFM ratings, with the tri-cool, on medium, around 56CFM, and the Sctyhe which is pushing air, at around 60CFM. So not optimal, and I can feel some blow-back from the Scythe, but the temps are good. And the Scythe is running at just under 1600rpm, so I think the blow-back is simply a case of the tight fin arrangement.

The rest of the case fans are at the lowest speeds. And really, even with the tri-cool that is pulling air, when it is set at low, I dont see any difference. But I do run it at medium anyhow to keep a similar CFM rating.

So all in all, I was able to eliminate one fan entirely, and only run one fan at medium. I wouldn't say it is any less noisy than before since the fan I eliminated was a Noctua, but it isn't any louder either. Aside from the somewhat unique sound that the s-flex gives off, which kind of bothers me.

Back