• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cortana now on Android

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

Recently I found an xda-dev apk for android called Xda-Labs. It has the ability to install directly from within android many aps, one of which is Microsoft's Cortana. It works well btw.
http://www.xda-developers.com/xda-labs/
If my phone was rootable I would remove the playstore altogether. I disabled most of cortana's features, but for driving directions, telling the phone to call someone or simply wanting to ask a question without the need to type, it works well. I like not having to login to google every time I need an apk update or whatever.

I got it through the xda labs apk and yes I do like it better. At present though everything, and I mean everything google, is disabled and blocked from the net on my phone via Disable Manager & NetGuard. Now xda labs will install but won't let me login to xda, rendering it useless. I suspect because I told google to f off. On an iphone you can tell siri to turn the bluetooth on, and she does. On android with cortana, she pulls up the web and advice to turn it on only. But if you ask cortana to speak spanish she will reply "In spain...si". Cortana is not always listening; you have to run it. Essentially just because I own a smartphone with android does not mean I want google to run rampant in the background as if I need them for squat. Open cortana, she says "what can I help you with ...?" and then displays local weather info. It is rather difficult to get apk's without going to the play store but it is possible if you search. I have a lot of respect for sites that host their own without forcing you to login to google. I find it absurd the playstore thinks I need to login to use their miasma of BS. Plus cortana does not gaf if google isn't running.

Back