• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Darker Sky for Android

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

Apple bought the weather ap Dark Sky and then cut android off on Aug 1st, making it available only on the apple store.
Some guy hacked it and using apple's api ported it back to droid. All the payed features are disabled but still show. No widgets at all nor any notification area stuff either. Opens and works great. Has ability to save 6 different locations you can swipe between. You can choose to not give it your gps location and it happily accepts both US zip codes as well as City names from anywhere in the world from the search box. It wants to run at start but I disabled that on my phone and used Warden to disable some other stuff it doesn't need either like billing, widgets and whatnot.
It's on a public Telegram (ap) channel. Install telegram, open it, and then just do a search for 'darker sky' to get the free apk download link.
https://www.xda-developers.com/dark-sky-android-bring-back/ 19.18mb
1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png
I wasn't using any ap at all, only my browser. Hopefully apple doesn't change the api any time soon.

Last edited:
I thought the dark sky API was going away at the end of the year

heh... this is the app I gave my wife a hard time about... paid weather app. :p

I was laughing when it went away because we couldn't compare free (weather underground) to that, lol.

I just ended up switching to Weatherbug when they disabled the Android version... it ain't half bad, honestly.

heh... this is the app I gave my wife a hard time about... paid weather app. :p

I was laughing when it went away because we couldn't compare free (weather underground) to that, lol.

Was the best app I had used (including Wunderground, Accuweather, etc). Pretty pissed that it went away. I went with 'Shadow Weather' and seems pretty good and similar enough.

@ATM, I can't believe going to Weatherbug after all the garbage that that site had gathered with their plugins/adware/crap that would auto-install on machines back in the day lol

@ATM, I can't believe going to Weatherbug after all the garbage that that site had gathered with their plugins/adware/crap that would auto-install on machines back in the day lol

Haven't seen any issues, but I'm also only using on Android.

Shadow weather is pure crap no offense. It has like 8 trackers. Google has it in a strangle hold. You're better off just using a pixel device and it's built-in weather features, google now or whatever. My phone blocks google servers in general and as such it displayed zero data.
Weather for Weatherbug is so much worse it's pathetic. Ap's phone permissions seem harmless enough. Storage and Location, run at start of course and internet. Using Warden it has over a hundred different components, 11 of which are trackers. Amazon, twitter, and a plethora of google data logging in reference to your location. Weatherbug uses your location, and your sensors to detect when you are driving. This ap logs everything and uploads to google and partners. It's no more a weather ap than I am santa clause on my birthday. After I installed this pos weatherbug I disabled all the junk. Right after I gave it internet access it literally deleted it's own homescreen icon that gets installed after installation. That crap is like having an alexa device strapped to your hip. At close to 70mb it's the dictionary definition of bloatware.
Too bad cause Wx is the best but after google got a hold of it all it displays is the forecast, not even a current temp on my phone.
Whatever, we'll see how long it takes before apple changes the api on darker sky. Hopefully never. Using Warden I disabled almost every component and it works perfectly. It has 1 activity, 1 provider, 1 service, and 5 permissions enabled of 30 components with zero trackers. Shuts down clean and doesn't even show up in autostart aps. It doesn't need to to begin with. Nicely hacked.

Last edited:
Back