• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cost for Conroe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
975 chipset supports conroe. but the power management of the motherboards themselves can't support the voltage/current requirments for Conroe. Intel demonstrated conroe on their current 975 boards, only modified a little. So there will be Rev 2.x boards with 975 chipsets that will support Conroe as well.

It appears Conroe will support the 975 chipset. The 965 chipset is a lower version. I am not clear on all this as info is flying out the window like crazy. However, you better start saving up real fast as the release of Conroe is rumored to be in spring. All this maybe false so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I've heard several rumors about the i975 chipset in regards to Conroe support. What appears clear is that right now that the current i975 chipset will not support Conroe, at least not without a BIOS update or some sort of mod.

Two new chipsets are in the works that will support Conroe, namely i965 and i985.

Now here is where things get vague. It appears that there may be a version 2 release of the 975 chipset that will support Conroe. The latest rumor is that the current i975 chipset "might" work with a BIOS upgrade or a hardware mod.

All LGA775 mobos will not work though. Certainly i915, i925, i945, and i955 chipsets will not support Conroe.

ECH said:
It appears Conroe will support the 975 chipset. The 965 chipset is a lower version. I am not clear on all this as info is flying out the window like crazy. However, you better start saving up real fast as the release of Conroe is rumored to be in spring. All this maybe false so take it with a grain of salt.
Whats the likelihood of a release in the Spring?

BWR said:
Whats the likelihood of a release in the Spring?

That's just rumored...take it with a grain of salt. I give it a split 50/50 though :shrug: This comes from the fact that it is also rumored that they been shipping Conroes since Jan. I would prefer a Newegg, Best Buy or a CompUSA employee to say they actually have them in stock then a mere rumor that it's been shipped...

I read an article that indicated that Intel is cannibalizing sales on their current line do to that pre-review of Conroe as good margin of folk stop buying just waiting for this release. I will suggest that if any of this is true (actually noted some where of 20% decrease) then this will effect a early release date. What the date will be is unknown.

Last edited:
I really don't think it's wishful thinking. If it true they are shipping 60 million cores this year then production and distribution would have already started. And are shipping out to shops as we speak (as rumored) link
Whenever it's release the only issue is getting a dud as availability seems to be plentiful this year.

What's the likelihood that Conroe is sitting on shelves in places like NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, Monarch Computers, Computer HQ (love their southern Hospitality), etc as we post in this thread?

Last edited:
Intel seems to ramping up production. Who wants to give up the chance to get rid of your competition with a single blow once they are actually showing some potential in actually getting rid of you. Just so no one gets the wrong idea, I would rather have AMD and Intel have 50% market share. Lower prices and better quality for everyone :D .

Last artical I saw said that AMD had 87% market share in desktops for the first quarter of this year.
Lets just hope Conroe gets here sooner then later.
Also.. there is plenty of DDR2 that would be suffecent to run a conroe (at least the non XE's) machine right now it just may drop in price once the new stuff gets here.

OK :)

conroe1yy.jpg

What's the likelihood that Conroe is sitting on shelves in places like NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, Monarch Computers, Computer HQ (love their southern Hospitality), etc as we post in this thread?
Probably very, very slim. From all I've heard, they aren't even ramping up Conroe fabs until next month (around the time of the Presler price cuts). That doesn't mean they aren't producing them right now, just not with the bulk of their capacity. All signs definitely point to them wanting to get these out ASAP though and I wouldn't be surprised if they start popping up at the same time as or before AM2 (June/July).

Ross said:
...I wouldn't be surprised if they start popping up at the same time as or before AM2 (June/July).

Eek! That does not give em much time to safe up a littel more dough. I will definetly be having to sell my current rig.

Anyone want to give me a rough estiment on the ball park that you think my sig could go for (minize the cd/hdd/case).

Last edited:
send the memory, MB, and the cpu.. Im ready to buy NOW!!! ;)

Id like to hold off for Ross's results.. that would take all of 2 days.. HA!!!!! :D

greenmaji said:
Last artical I saw said that AMD had 87% market share in desktops for the first quarter of this year.

Those numbers are way off. Last I heard AMD had no more than 20% total market share for all processors.

Illyest said:
Me wants DDR2-1066 to run 1066FSB cpu w/1066mhz mem :)

A 1066 CPU runs at 266 FSB, so even using DDR2-800 RAM would allow you to overclock up to 300 FSB using the 3:4 ratio. In other words, there is no need for DDR2-1066 RAM, especially since it's not even on the market yet.

batboy said:
Those numbers are way off. Last I heard AMD had no more than 20% total market share for all processors.

I didnt mean total, I ment early sales for this year.. and it was 81.5% AMD for the first 7 weeks.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060306091615.html
And xbitlabs links to Cnet news in that report.
I was going off memory, I tought it was first quarter (12 weeks) and my percentage was a little off.
So yea.. Intel should still have the majorty of desktops total, this has been a roll reversial.

Right now I have +/-$273, If I can make $300 off my current system which is what the guys down in SMP estimated me, that mean I'll probably have $600-$700 for a new system.

$120 for OCZ Powerstream 520
$209 for CPU
$150 for mobo
$150 for 2x1 gig of ram?

= $629

How do those price figures look? The thing is though I still need to fit a graphic card in the budget. Anyword on the prices of DX10 cards?

I wouldn't worry bout DX10 cards.. the first generation of DX cards usually stink.

I would suggest saving some more (and maybe trying to get another $50-100 out of the current system)

Back