• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Conroe Clock Speed List...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Those prices are quite nice, especially for the E6600. $309 does appear to be quite a high price, but this should drop down to around $280-290 within a few weeks (unless Intel has some problems with the 65nm process, which I strongly doubt).

As for overclocking, I'm not sure how it will be. I tend to believe that the first generation will be not great for OC'ing, and the generations after will be a lot better, but we'll have to wait and see.

Ross said:
I won't even say I told you so :D

In my defense I will say that EVERYONE in the industry was surprised by the benchmarks - AnandTech included! No one expected such a leap!

I guess Moore's Law (which was lagging the last year or two) will catch up now :cool:

conroe is probably more than 100% faster clock for clock vs. pentium4. I would say 150% faster. it is even 40-50% faster than athlon clock for clock. This means a 2GHz conroe could match a 2.8GHz to 3GHz athlon!

Ross said:
Why do you think the Prescott/CedarMill/Presler pipes are so long? To reduce heat at high clocks. Guess what happens when you shorten them? Do you think AMD really bins that well or do you think they just can't more than that out of their cores because of the short pipes (ie. heat)? Shorter pipes will ramp up in heat with clocks faster than long pipe chips will.

I feel like I just lost some IQ points reading that. :rolleyes:

During the semi-annual Intel Developer Forum, Gelsinger demonstrated a desktop chip based on the new microarchitecture. The processor, code-named Conroe, delivers 40 percent better performance while consuming 40 percent less power than today's Pentium, he said. It will be available in the third quarter.

from the AP

i think that fairly well states what conroe can do from intel itself i think those benchys we seen from the idf are like any limited benchmarks and easy to over or under estimate the ability of the chip. partly why i am takeing those results with a grain of salt.

If you guys are referring to the Anandtech review, I'm not very happy with the way they conducted it. Why on earth would you choose an RD480 chipset with all its bugs, when you have the better NF4 chipset to comare with? :shrug:

Last edited:
nade i think you are right in alot of respects, afterall intel is stating that thier own chip only out performs the old by 40% (clock for clock i guess). also at IDF just about a hour or so befor the amd intel tests intel said thier chip only outperformed the best pent 4 chip by 20%. those things just dont match the results of the benchmarking. if anything i dont think intel would be understating thier new chip.

Back