• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could Nintendo go third party?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I want Nintendo to go 3rd party. They aren't innovating. They make stale, outdated consoles, and they systems are a 3rd party software desert, in my opinion.
Yeah which are totally not fun ever to pl---

wait no

Personally I got sick of smash brothers, mario party, mario platformers, zeldas, metroids, mario karts and kirbies.

Nintendo needs to stop rehashing characters from the 80s and 90s and come up with some original fresh content.

How about a new RPG with Zelda like mechanics. How about a new platforming hero? How about doing a real racing game?

How about getting fresh, original, exclusive 3rd party content like Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, and Goldeneye?

How about a new Waverace game? IP hasn't been beaten to death yet... Would look great on Wii U. How about a new F Zero BY Nintendo, not SEGA, who butchered the series on the Gamecube...

JM2C

I hate to say it, but they need the WiiU hacked, then their sales will skyrocket. Look how well the Wii did for them and that one was hacked pretty much on release day.

I hate to say it, but they need the WiiU hacked, then their sales will skyrocket. Look how well the Wii did for them and that one was hacked pretty much on release day.

How would that help sales?

If they go third party, they wouldn't be making consoles....
Eh? :confused:

As was already mentioned, we're pretty sure they make money on hardware sales, so hardware sales would skyrocket with a hacked console.

What they make off console sales is nothing compared to what they make from Game licensing. It's all gravy with optical disc based games. Costs less than a roll of toilet paper to produce and you can sell it for $59.99. They're making maybe $50-100 per console. Probably making $20 per game. Considering how many more games are sold than consoles, it would be ridiculous for any console MFG to encourage hacking their machine.

What they make off console sales is nothing compared to what they make from Game licensing. It's all gravy with optical disc based games. Costs less than a roll of toilet paper to produce and you can sell it for $59.99. They're making maybe $50-100 per console. Probably making $20 per game. Considering how many more games are sold than consoles, it would be ridiculous for any console MFG to encourage hacking their machine.

You would think, but sales are so low, and a nice jump in hardware sales will also equate to a jump software sales. People whom hack will always buy games they want to actually "own". It can only help them at this point mate.

You would think, but sales are so low, and a nice jump in hardware sales will also equate to a jump software sales. People whom hack will always buy games they want to actually "own". It can only help them at this point mate.

Even if I agreed with you, which I don't, how can you honestly expect a company to condone the hacking or modification of it's device? It's like asking if record companies would support illegal MP3 downloads, or if movie studios would support Pirate Bay.

It's just never going to happen. I think "cracking" the machine is not the way forward. The way forward is to make compelling hardware, compelling software, and get 3rd parties interested in making Nintendo games worth a damn again. Almost all the 3rd party software on Nintendo's consoles is shovelware IMO. It's a sad state of affairs.

If you were a programmer would you want to design games for cutting edge hardware? Or for something that was essentially 9 years behind the times (and let's not kid ourselves, Wii U is about equivalent in horsepower to an Xbox 360, released 9 years ago).

Even if I agreed with you, which I don't, how can you honestly expect a company to condone the hacking or modification of it's device? It's like asking if record companies would support illegal MP3 downloads, or if movie studios would support Pirate Bay.

It's just never going to happen. I think "cracking" the machine is not the way forward. The way forward is to make compelling hardware, compelling software, and get 3rd parties interested in making Nintendo games worth a damn again. Almost all the 3rd party software on Nintendo's consoles is shovelware IMO. It's a sad state of affairs.

If you were a programmer would you want to design games for cutting edge hardware? Or for something that was essentially 9 years behind the times (and let's not kid ourselves, Wii U is about equivalent in horsepower to an Xbox 360, released 9 years ago).

Let's not forget that Nintendo's audience are mostly 10 year old's who don't care about which system has more ballz or better graphics. Heck even better story lines. If it's a fun looking game, kids will play and TBH I think that's their goal with their systems and games.

True though, I'd rather make games for new consoles, but if I'm paid the same, I'll code for an old Atari for all I care.

I will 100% agree, cracking is not the way forward. It's a nice bonus, but it shouldn't be the only reason you sell your console.

Last edited:
Let's not forget that Nintendo's audience are mostly 10 year old's who don't care about which system has more ballz or better graphics. Heck even better story lines. If it's a fun looking game, kids will play and TBH I think that's their goal with their systems and games.

True though, I'd rather make games for new consoles, but if I'm paid the same, I'll code for an old Atari for all I care.

I will 100% agree, cracking is not the way forward. It's a nice bonus, but it shouldn't be the only reason you sell your console.

I'm honestly not sure if 10 year Olds are really their audience. I would bet that they depend more on adults that grew up with the consoles and games that want the nostalgia feeling from their childhood. And it's possible that those adults would buy for their kids to hopefully grow up with the same enjoyment.

I'm honestly not sure if 10 year Olds are really their audience. I would bet that they depend more on adults that grew up with the consoles and games that want the nostalgia feeling from their childhood. And it's possible that those adults would buy for their kids to hopefully grow up with the same enjoyment.

:thup::thup:

Let's not forget that Nintendo's audience are mostly 10 year old's who don't care about which system has more ballz or better graphics.

When I was 10, I cared very much about graphics. Heck, when I was 8, and Super Nintendo came out, I was very concerned with the fact that my NES's graphics looked like garbage by comparison. I NEEDED a Super Nintendo. Months of relentlessly conveying this to my mother resulted in a Super Nintendo and all was well with the world.

My sisters kids, 6, 9, and 14, care very much about graphics. They pooled their money to buy a PS4 as soon as it came out JUST because it had better graphics. They don't want a Wii U because it has inferior graphics.

Nintendo's main audience may be 10 year old kids but I'm willing to bet that the large majority of Wii U owners are the lifelong Nintendo fans. People who had an NES, an SNES, an N64, and so on.

Kids care about technology. They care about graphics. Maybe not ALL kids, but the ones I grew up with and myself, we cared very much.

:thup::thup:

When I was 10, I cared very much about graphics. Heck, when I was 8, and Super Nintendo came out, I was very concerned with the fact that my NES's graphics looked like garbage by comparison. I NEEDED a Super Nintendo. Months of relentlessly conveying this to my mother resulted in a Super Nintendo and all was well with the world.

My sisters kids, 6, 9, and 14, care very much about graphics. They pooled their money to buy a PS4 as soon as it came out JUST because it had better graphics. They don't want a Wii U because it has inferior graphics.

Nintendo's main audience may be 10 year old kids but I'm willing to bet that the large majority of Wii U owners are the lifelong Nintendo fans. People who had an NES, an SNES, an N64, and so on.

Kids care about technology. They care about graphics. Maybe not ALL kids, but the ones I grew up with and myself, we cared very much.

Times have changed of course, I couldn't care less what they looked like when I was a kid. I rocked that old Gameboy colour till my dad smashed it :(
Same deal with the N64. I thought it was the bomb because I always wanted to play it with my buddy. For me, game > graphics.

Not now of course, gotta be maxed out settings or bust! :p

But yes, everyone's different, and that's fine :thup:

Well, now you're referring to what they should do in the future. I'm referring to what should happen to the current system. What compelling hardware could they offer now? :-/

Their main saving face game is Zelda. The worst a hacked system could do is help them with hardware sales, which in turn will still increase software sales.

Last edited:
Theocnoob said:

Nintendo needs more hit games that use the Gamepad's defining functionality in a unique way, like how Rayman Legends uses the Gamepad's touchscreen and gyro to assist Murfy in the special levels. It also wouldn't hurt to revise the Gamepad with a better resolution screen, because the current screen looks like five year old smartphone tech, or like a screen from a cheap $50 kids Android tablet. Or they need to lower the price by at least $50, maybe release another basic bundle that doesn't include any extras such as the charging cradle and no free game. $299 is tough to justify when $100 more can get a PS4 or Xbox One, unless the buyer wants to play Nintendo games.

Last edited:
Nintendo needs more hit games that use the Gamepad's defining functionality in a unique way, like how Rayman Legends uses the Gamepad's touchscreen and gyro to assist Murfy in the special levels. It also wouldn't hurt to revise the Gamepad with a better resolution screen, because the current screen looks like five year old smartphone tech, or like a screen from a cheap $50 kids Android tablet. Or they need to lower the price by at least $50, maybe release another basic bundle that doesn't include any extras such as the charging cradle and no free game. $299 is tough to justify when $100 more can get a PS4 or Xbox One, unless the buyer wants to play Nintendo games.

Tough to justify? $299 is criminal. Let's not forget they're selling Xbox360 equivalent hardware, in 2014, for $299. The 360 was $299 within a year or so of being released, and is still, IMO, a better system than the Wii U.

The Wii U is worth maybe $100 for the console and another $45 for the stupid controller with the screen on it. $150 bundle price. That's when I'd buy it.

How hard would it have been for Nintendo to delay the Wii U until 2013 and just use the same architecture the PS4 and XBOne use (with the exception of XBone's garbage DDR3)?.

That would have been truly compelling hardware. Imagine how much better SM 3D World and MK 8 would look on HW with 8GB DDR5 and the power of a 7870. It would be amazing.

As it stands, the Wii U graphics are very bland and uninspired to me. Sure, Nintendo does great art, but it's the same graphical quality I've been seeing since 2005... I demand an upgrade, not a side-grade.

Imagine buying a 2005 car, waiting until 2012 to upgrade, and being told you're getting another 2005 for the same price you payed for the first 2005, even though it's 7 years later. How would you feel? That's exactly what Nintendo did with the Wii and Wii U. Recycled tech. I lost respect for Nintendo when they farmed out Starfox and F Zero to 3rd party devs. Nintendo's dead to me. Never again. And constantly re-releasing OOOOOOOLD games on new consoles? WTH is that about? Are these guys cheap enough?

Last edited:
No. The Wii U has a slow CPU, but the rest of the internals are head and shoulders above the anemic xbox 360.

I don't support the wimpy CPU (they should have licensed a better architecture from IBM), but I do support the PowerPC instruction set they used. It keeps backwards compatibility, letting me play my beloved old games on the new console.
If they had gone x86, none of the gamecube and wii games would work without being re-coded.

And finally, the art style prominent in Nintendo's games doesn’t use the poly counts and shading needed in “realistic” genres. Crysis 3 need it, but Super Mario doesn’t. The only serious improvement to make is better lighting, and a better output resolution (please, please, please, 1080p, my poor eyeballs, UGH)
Soooooo….

What would you want in your ideal Mario game, theocnoob? Could you list some things, so we’re talking on a more concrete understanding of our points?

Back