• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Block and Reservoir Sediment Buildup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dray_5820k

I assembled my first open loop using EKWB's P280 kit. After about four months of use I have noticed a fine light grey silt like sediment building in the reservoir and inside the CPU water block. Prior to installing anything I did flush the radiators (EKWB CE280 and PE240) a couple times each with distilled water. I used two more of EKWB's EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm (same type that come with the kit) to expand the loop for the PE240. The loop is filled with distilled water and EK's Cryo-Fuel concentrate diluted to the proper concentration. All other loop components are from EK's P280 kit.

Upon close inspection of the CPU block it looks like the sediment is building up where the jet plate opens to the microfins. :(

My next step is block disassembly and loop flushing. Any suggestions as to why this occurred and how to clean the affected components is greatly appreciated!

CPU_Block_Lower.png
CPU_Block_Upper.png
Reservoir.png

a loop needs to be drained and cleaned every 4-6 months, nothing to freak out about, drain it, flush with 50/50 distilled/ vinegar 2-3 hours, flush out with distilled, refill with your coolant.

thats not normal. it looks like sand. is your pump making strange or different noises by chance? if it has settled like that i wonder how much is still being propelled throughout the loop?

Could be leftover residue from radiators, breakdown of fluid or tubing, or any other contaminants. Like Caddi said, flush and refill. Watch for it to happen again, if it does then consider new coolant or tubing.

I assume it's just left over sand of some sort from when the parts were made, it's all on horizontal surfaces from what I can see.

im wondering if it isnt the pump bearing wearing itself down. i would let EKs cs know about it before you flush and fill. send them some pics that way your covered if it is in fact the pump bearing.

im wondering if it isnt the pump bearing wearing itself down. i would let EKs cs know about it before you flush and fill. send them some pics that way your covered if it is in fact the pump bearing.

If the bearings would've wore down like this, the pump should've started leaking already or at the very least started making sounds or start vibrating (this can be easily tested with a long flat Screw driver put on the pump house and listening to vibration sounds resonated through the screw driver)

Thanks to all who replied! I took some good pictures but went ahead with a dissasembly, cleaning, and flush because I can't have the machine down. So far so good. I will repost here again if the issue reoccurs. My guess is that I should have flushed the radiators more vigorously before install. Pump sounds normal - or at least the same as when it was brand new. No strange grinding noises or vibrations.

Glad you got it up and running. Just keep an eye on it every here and there. Drain and refill say in a 6-12 month plan or sooner if things deteriorate.

Back