• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu clock and voltage gets locked after disabling cores. Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

katay

Hello everyone!

If I go into bios and disable 2 cores("one compute unit", I guess) (options are "cores 1-2"[greyed out], "cores 3-4" and "cores 5-6"), when I get back to windows I see that the cpu clock and voltage always maxed out.

It's like, disabling idle and clock/voltage steps. Same thing happens whatever cores I choose.Why? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance!

cpu: amd fx 6100
mobo: gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 rev1

You cannot choose the primary core, that's why it's greyed out.

To use core control it is required that you are in 'manual' mode. On Gig boards, that means you have to set EVERYTHING manually. You will have no 'green' functions.
I recommend you read a couple overclocking guides.
Why are you disabling cores?

Last edited:
You cannot choose the primary core, that's why it's greyed out.

What bios revision?

I know that. I don't want to choose that anyway. That's not my problem right now.

Bios version is F12. Latest.

Thanks

Edited my post as you were posting. ;)

Try the first bios that supported your CPU. I believe that was F5.

I recommend you read a couple overclocking guides.
Why are you disabling cores?
-------------

Edited my post as you were posting. ;)

Try the first bios that supported your CPU. I believe that was F5.

I read a lot of guides already but unfortunately, they didn't help me about this.
I disable them to increase cpu freq to 4.2 ghz(from 3.3). If I don't disable them before overclocking, prime95 fails. No matter how much I increase the voltage. 5th core gives an error.
By disabling those 2, I can overclock without even increasing voltage. (Btw, it doesn't go over 4.2 no matter what I do. But that's another thing)

I'm not really a fan of the idea of using an older bios:) Apart from improvements that came with newer versions, I don't really want to set eeeeevery setting all over again. But still, I wrote that suggestion down here. Thanks

So you have a weak core.
How much voltage did you try and what are your temps like?

Sometimes older bios is beneficial. Newer bios's sometimes break other things when they are implemented to fix or update a specific item. Gigabyte is notorious for this.

So you have a weak core.
How much voltage did you try and what are your temps like?

Sometimes older bios is beneficial. Newer bios's sometimes break other things when they are implemented to fix or update a specific item. Gigabyte is notorious for this.

I even went to 1.6, slowly, by trying every step.

I've heard about the fact that sometimes older bios is beneficial but I had absolutely no idea that gigabye is notorious for this. Good to know!

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I couln't find the edit button, so I'll gently add it here...

Max temp was around 65-70C on prime95

Wait, I guess that was an old result when I was trying some weird stuff. I must be confused.

Right now, 2 cores disabled and running at 4.2 ghz, 10 minutes of prime95 gave me max 50C. I'll keep testing with prime tho.

20 minutes will give you a rough idea.

So, 35 minutes of testing gave me 53C.

Then I tried overclocking again and I realized that I cant increase CPU voltage more than 1.4125 . Whenever I try to increase that, it automaticly decreases voltage and clock to stock settings.
Tried to do it by both on bios and Amd Overdrive software. Same thing. It doesn't change!

Back