• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu-cooler instead of paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamiecooks1232

The next step in cooling must be to bond the cpu to the cooler.
I haven't tested this yet, but I'm thinking of soldering a heatsink onto a P2 celery. I know I know, the surface of the P2 celery isn't the core. But still, it might prove that soldering is more effective than pasting.

Leading on that, the next step, bonding a cpu die to a cooler. Thats a difficult task. On the one side we have the core, made from silicon. on the other side we have usually a metal copper.

How on earth do we provide a bond between theese two?
Any ideas anyone.

Last edited:
Might prove? Solder IS better than paste, friend. That isnt a question. :)

Your question is what amd does (and intel did) in the past with the iridium solder between the die and bottom of the IHS. What that answer is, i do not know.

that can't be impossible, heat ihs and cooler plate with mini torch, place solder on ihs, install cooler, should work.

I am curious to see how well JB weld would perform as a thermo paste. Obviously, this is a more permanent solution than most would like. But if you have a broken mainboard clip or something, I think it would work okay in a pinch. Definitely better than super glue.

I am going to try re-lidding my 970 processor with a good quality Thermal paste and RTV to bond the lid to the CPU. Test and get some temp readings. Then I want to take it apart again and use JB weld as a permanent bond between the CPU die and the lid.

This processor is on it's way out so it's okay to experiment on and get some readings. I would say JB weld has better thermal conductivity than most epoxies on the market so it's a good place to start.

I would bond two things together with the JB Weld and do some thermal research before I made permanent changes to a Zosma with it. Having used it a few times on various engine parts, I'm not convinced the thermal transfer properties are going to thrill you.

Back