• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Coolers for LGA771 Socket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wombatunder

Registered
Hi All,
I have an Acer Altos G540 system
Currently it has a single E5440 running at stock speeds. I have been debating about grabbing a matched pair of cpus but I only have one cpu cooler in the machine.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on the this wonderfull thing called the internet that the LGA775 coolers will fit the LGA771 socket. I had a bit of a hunt around on here but didn't find anything that confirmed this

CPUZ says the Mainboard is an ACER 7BESH with Intle 5000P Chipset (Rev B1), Intel 6321ESB Southbridge (Rev 09) and Bios version P22 from 08/31/2009

I had vague thoughts of making a custom water cooling system but it would be my first foray into water cooling and I'm not sure my spare funds will stretch that far.

I would like to be able to make the machine a bit quieter but I do have 2x 4 Drive SAS boards in it with 2 15.4kRPM drives and 4 Sata 7200RPM drives and am not sure how well cooled they will be if I change out the rear case fans from the noisy stock ones in there.

The box still has it's 2 redundant 650W power supplies.

Um, not sure if I need to include any more info.

:welcome:

I had to look this up to find out. The fast answer to the 771 vs 775 mounting holes is that they are different so you can't just get a 775 cooler to put in your 771 machine. That said, apparently some 771 mainboards were made with 775 mounting holes so you could only use 775 coolers. In looking at your machine, it looks like it's a BTX form factor which further complicates things for you if only a little. If the specs for your machine match those for the 775 cooler, then you should be OK.

In terms of noise levels, you will find that if you can fit larger fans in the box and spin them at slower speeds, cooling can remain the same while sound will be reduced. If you can add fans to the box, like in the front maybe, then you can increase the number of fans and get quieter fans all around.

:welcome:

I had to look this up to find out. The fast answer to the 771 vs 775 mounting holes is that they are different so you can't just get a 775 cooler to put in your 771 machine. That said, apparently some 771 mainboards were made with 775 mounting holes so you could only use 775 coolers. In looking at your machine, it looks like it's a BTX form factor which further complicates things for you if only a little. If the specs for your machine match those for the 775 cooler, then you should be OK.

In terms of noise levels, you will find that if you can fit larger fans in the box and spin them at slower speeds, cooling can remain the same while sound will be reduced. If you can add fans to the box, like in the front maybe, then you can increase the number of fans and get quieter fans all around.

It had its clean today and it looks like the mounts for the cpu cooler are different from the 775 socket ones.

I guess it's off to ebay to see if I can find an original heatsink.

Here are some pics if anyone is interested. I've had major dust issues in the past so I've used some old pantyhose over the front cover of the case to act as a filter. we will see how it goes.

So there's 2x 120mm fans in redundant config on the back of the case and 1x 80mm fan on the cpu cooler.
I could probably fit 1x 140mm fan on the back and upgrade the cooler fan to something better. There's very good air flow in the case, I can feel it being sucked in from the front.

Last edited:
That is clearly not a 775. Nuts. Good luck in your hunt. I also don't see much room to change the cooling in that case. Again, nuts.

Back