• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU died - Looking for Replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teqqi

Hello

5-6 years ago I built this PC. and yesterday the CPU and motherboard broke, so I decided to replace them. My current system:

(Broken) CPU -- Intel i7 920 - 2.66
Motherboard -- Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
RAM -- Patriot pvt36g1600llk - 3x2gb
GPU -- Asus GTX 275
PSU -- Corsair HX750
HDD -- Caviar Black WD5001AALS
Case -- Coolermaster Cosmos

I believe the CPU cooler is Noctua NH-U12P

Any of the components that are still fine to keep using, or is it better to replace all?

Not necessarily looking to upgrade, mainly replacing. I heard good things about the R7 videocard, Samsung evo SSD and 4590 processor, are these recommended?

I live in Europe and will be using European webshops to buy components. Don't really play any high-demanding games, the heaviest is LoL or CS.

Sorry for English and let me know if something is not clear...

Windows is sorted, I don't plan on overclocking and my budget is 500 euro but if that's not nowhere near enough I can increase it

I would keep these:
PSU -- Corsair HX750 - replace if need mooor power
HDD -- Caviar Black WD5001AALS - time for a SSD?
Case -- Coolermaster Cosmos - Yep, keep this :)

Start with this:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
MoBo: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Video Cards: ASUS DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP CrossFire

Add a 500GB SSD or Water Cool it.
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm

Go with anything i7. Because you don't intend to overclock don't bother with a chip that has a K at the end.

Use pcpartpicker.com and choose haswell or haswell refresh as the CPU family type and tick i7.

Then also choose a motherboard but don't bother with any Z97 (etc) type motherboards because they have overclocking features. Choose a decent brand (gigabyte, asrock, MSI and lastly asus if you're not bothered by the warranty stories). Just choose what features the motherboard has that you'll use and that's why I chose an mATX board because of its cost and still more than enough USB ports etc.

Ram is ram unless you're overclocking to be fair, CAS per price unit would be what counts here for DDR3.

Start with this:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150
MoBo: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Ram: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
Video Cards: ASUS DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP CrossFire

Add a 500GB SSD or Water Cool it.
CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 280mm

I so totally disagree.

Dom platinums are pricey, and he doesnt need 16GB. 2x4GB of 1600-2133 by G skill or whoever else at a reasonable price will be fine.

No need for an ROG board. ASUS Z97A or ASRock Extreme4 or Gigabyte Z97XUD3H is fine. $150.

i7 not needed for gaming. 4690K is my suggestion. Its worth getting the unlocked chip for the extra few dollars. Overclocking can prolong system lifespan down the road. A $35 Hyper 212 cooler will suffice as well.

R9 280X (not 280, 280X) will be a fine choice if gaming at 1080P. If gaming at 1440P Id go with a 290X or GTX 780. No card really does 4K gaming respectably in the current generation by itself without SLI or Xfire.

I so totally disagree.

Dom platinums are pricey, and he doesnt need 16GB. 2x4GB of 1600-2133 by G skill or whoever else at a reasonable price will be fine.

No need for an ROG board. ASUS Z97A or ASRock Extreme4 or Gigabyte Z97XUD3H is fine. $150.

i7 not needed for gaming. 4690K is my suggestion. Its worth getting the unlocked chip for the extra few dollars. Overclocking can prolong system lifespan down the road. A $35 Hyper 212 cooler will suffice as well.

R9 280X (not 280, 280X) will be a fine choice if gaming at 1080P. If gaming at 1440P Id go with a 290X or GTX 780. No card really does 4K gaming respectably in the current generation by itself without SLI or Xfire.

this +1

Ha, I don't think you guys know how much 500 euro will get you in Europe. Conversion to US dollars and buying stuff here sure he could get a good bit, but its not going to buy all that over there.

My first question would be were you happy with your 920 performance? I would have to think so as I still use one daily and game pretty well with it, though I am running it at 4ghz. So instead of just throwing money out the door, I would recommend you find a good used 920 if your MB is still good. You say both broke but then only list cpu as broken, so I can't tell. There is one in the classys here for $55 if its still available. So if your board is good, replace the cpu, get a good after market cooler, and OC it. Its pretty much a shame to run a 920 at stock speeds. (do get an ssd though asap)

If you got it working again cheap and running well, you could use it for a while, then sell off the entire system as a decent working machine. You will get some of your money back out of it and then build something new.

I wouldn't recommend AIO water cooling to OP as even the best of them give temps that are only a few degrees lower than the best air coolers. An exception would be the Swiftech H360. Decent water cooling is more expensive, less reliable (leaks, pump failure) and often presents more space/clearance issues than air cooling.

Last edited:
Back