• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan, not always speeding up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOnlyFool

Registered
Pretty simple, if I'm playing a game, my CPU fan speeds up like normal, but if I run say Prime 95, it doesn't, and I cant figure out why...

Its stopping me from stress testing...

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

-TOF

Mobo: MSI 970a-g64 CPU: Fx6200 @ 4.2ghz stock cooler, well vented case, GPU: GTX 560ti448 @ 890core 2100mem, Ram: 12gb 1600mhz,

are you sure its not your GPU fan spinning up?

Usually, the CPU fan is pretty quiet. It could be your GPU spinning up to keep cool. And with a GTX560ti, i know the fans a bit loud when it spins up. I know on my GTX550ti, when you start speeding up the GPU fan, it will get fairly loud.

You run Prime 95 and don't run Coretemp to check temps?

Temps at idle/load, and your room temps.

Then maybe we can help.

Maybe opening the case and watching the fans under diff conditions will help, you can 'see' the fans actually change speed.

are you sure its not your GPU fan spinning up?

I Know 100% that it is not the GPU fan, I can tell the difference in sound. I have my GPU fan set to go to 100% after a certain temp.

It just seems that for some reason, my CPU fan (which is stock so its high RPM and loud) doesn't speed up when I'm running a Cpu only stress test like Prime 95, but it speeds up fine (3000rpm-5000rpm) while I'm gaming.

Ya tell me about it... I have no clue either, I'm no dummy with computers, but this just doesn't make sense.

I mean it would be another case if it didn't speed up at all, then it would be a Smart fan control or mobo problem, but when it only speeds up while gaming... wtf?

I wonder if its going off the case temps :/ that would be stupid.

The fan is connected to the 4 pin mobo fan header? Well of course since it's working other times.

Umm, when you run P95 you do let it run for 10 min or so?

I'd like to see a sig showing what you have in your system and temps from Coretemp at idle and load. Maybe, just maybe P95 isn't running right?

This is wierd. Like to see temps tho under idle, normal use and P95 use. Simple screeny shot would do.

Ok after messing around with smart fan a little, I've got the CPU fan to speed up like it should... BUT its doing something else weird, when I speed up my case fans (via a fan controller switch) The cpu fan slows down to idle.... wtf?

Back