• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan Speed Not Changing - ASRock Extreme4 Z87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

somegeek

I've created a custom fan profile for my CPU fan and it's not adjusting as the CPU heats up. The CPU heats up with prime95 running from idle at 30F to around 65F. At this point the CPU is still running at the 700RPM 30F speed. It should ramp up to ~1700 RPM when the CPU is at 65F.

Thoughts on what to check?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20140419_150534-1.jpg
    20140419_150534-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 917
Last edited:
Okay, so this is odd... I change my minimum speed for speed 1 in the BIOS from 30% to 40% and now the fan profile works. It speeds up to 1900 RPM when the CPU is loaded at ~65C and drops back down to 900 RPM when the CPU is at idle.

Why is that odd? Fan speed profile parameters are notoriously very crude and inaccurate. If it says 50% that probably will not cause the fan to run at 50% speed in real life. I'm not even sure what the 50% actually applies to. It may not mean 50% of the speed but 50% of the voltage to the fan which probably will not translate into 50% speed because of impedance. You just have to experiment to get what you really want.

I had the same problem when testing the fan settings from the bios. However, it seemed to always run full speed regardless. I left it on 100% since I don't hear the fan at max speed anyway. My idle temp is ~27C due to this.

One thing though, you mentioned that at load of 65C with 700RPM (your first time around), yet at 1900RPM it's still at 65C at load. I'd figure at higher RPM, the load temp would have decreased, not remain about the same.

Why is that odd? Fan speed profile parameters are notoriously very crude and inaccurate. If it says 50% that probably will not cause the fan to run at 50% speed in real life. I'm not even sure what the 50% actually applies to. It may not mean 50% of the speed but 50% of the voltage to the fan which probably will not translate into 50% speed because of impedance. You just have to experiment to get what you really want.

It's odd because the remainder of the settings (speeds 2-4 and critical) were not functioning when the first temp was set at 30%. I'd think that speed 2 on up would still function even if speed 1 was not enough to spin up the fan.

I had the same problem when testing the fan settings from the bios. However, it seemed to always run full speed regardless. I left it on 100% since I don't hear the fan at max speed anyway. My idle temp is ~27C due to this.

One thing though, you mentioned that at load of 65C with 700RPM (your first time around), yet at 1900RPM it's still at 65C at load. I'd figure at higher RPM, the load temp would have decreased, not remain about the same.

If I let the 700 RPM setting cook for a while with the CPU loaded, the CPU would reach 72C. I was just noting the quick temps I was hitting that should have made the fan profile work. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Back