• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan speed not going up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lokiangel

Registered
Hey guys, so i have a TA970 Motherboard, it's quite new, and i have a FX6200 cpu, at 3.8ghz(stock) and im using the stock heatsync as its rather good and my aftermarket one is being used already.

So my issue here is, all of a sudden the cpu fan hasn't gone over 5300 RPM, usually when my temps are 48++ it will kick up to 5700+ to cool it down, Thus making my temps all the time in the 40s. (Yes its loud and i dont mind it)

my cpu fan hasnt been adjusting the past 2 days and i realized it after i noticed my fan was quiet. it wont go above i think 5000 rpm? i'v messed with the auto fan in the bios (old style, motherboard came with a newer bios though) and no luck in the bios. the RPM stays rly low for this fan and i tried using speedfan, i can't push the fan above 4200 RPM. and i'v tried it with auto fan on in bios, and off.. Any ideas or tips?

Prime 95, all 6 cores, 63C, 4300 RPM. remember, this isn't a aftermarket, but if this going its normal speeds it wouldnt be above 52C.

Last edited:
Double check your BIOS settings. It's also possible for the bearings to be failing, but it usually makes a lot of noise when that happens.

i triple checked it, the fan isn't failing, no loud noises, and not hard to move. been 3 months since a grease apply.

Double check your BIOS settings. It's also possible for the bearings to be failing, but it usually makes a lot of noise when that happens.

i also moved my PC to a more Open area, its a open case. in a 72F room. i cleaned my heatsync. 53C with 30% cpu usage .of my 6cores used.

im at a loss of words

Does your bios havea fan test built in? try running that. If IT does not push fan to limits try powering down your PC and plugging your fan into another PC that is running.

However.

5300 RPM is an insane speed. Unless your fan has feathers for fins it should sound like a chinook taking off. Even with feathers for fins it should be audible.Toothpicks spinning at that speed will make a ton of noise.

If you disable ALL auto fan and do not set manual levels in BIOS then your fan is the culprit I suspect. Still could be the bios though.. just saying.

this is a FX6200 stock cpu heatsync. yeah 5300 RPM is fast but this isnt a big fan. its a tiny one. its normal speed is 6700 RPM if running at full speed.

i havent flashed my bios with the CD that came with my motherboard for flashing it. so istill have the old bios. but in the Auto fan for cpu cooling has a built in tester. it only goes to 5300 some times to 6000. even durring 59C it sits at 5000 to 6000. even with these speeds i have no idea why my cpu is getting so hot.

this is a FX6200 stock cpu heatsync. yeah 5300 RPM is fast but this isnt a big fan. its a tiny one. its normal speed is 6700 RPM if running at full speed.

i havent flashed my bios with the CD that came with my motherboard for flashing it. so istill have the old bios. but in the Auto fan for cpu cooling has a built in tester. it only goes to 5300 some times to 6000. even durring 59C it sits at 5000 to 6000. even with these speeds i have no idea why my cpu is getting so hot.

I don't know Bulldozer Pile dozer yet. I do know some AMD though. And fan speeds reported are NEVER actually. So half that I imagine.

That is not the point. Your fan is not hitting full speed (by audible) not not by software and your CPU is over hitting.

Issue is I suspect, your bios needs a temperature adjustment since fan speed is controlled by BIOS level. If on asus you can set that in software from within windows. If other... have to look it up. Just set higher fan speed than you want etc.

A test to remove software from teh thing, is to remove all HDDs and run a bootable USB stick like memtest or something and see if fan speeds up. (Aside from previous plugging fan into another motherboard option)

Back