• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Fan wires Red Black Yellow what sequence to get it to work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

In the process of working on another problem, by accident I pulled the Red, Black and Yellow wires of my CPU cooling fan (manufacturer unknown) from the plastic 3 pin connector. I know where the connector goes on the mobo. BUT I don't know what sequence to put the wires into the 3pin plastic housing.

The only thing I can see, on the brown plastic housing it reads the number 13 on one side, and when I flip the plastic connector over it reads from top to bottom (see below), as if each number corresponds to one of the 3 terminals inside the housing.

(blank)
2510-Z

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks in advance.

looking at the brown connector from the side with the 2 guides left to right yellow, red, black, or from the side with the holes in black red yellow

looking at the brown connector from the side with the 2 guides left to right yellow, red, black, or from the side with the holes in black red yellow

If I take the brown connector, and put the holes for the terminals facing my right hand, and the plastic L shaped plastic guides are on the right too (but underneath)

I read the following from top to bottom (numbers/sequences are printed on the left side where the wires would insert into the housing), opposite the numbers and such, are the slotted grooves in the plastic. I'd upload a picture by my rig is down.

(blank)
2510-Z

What sequence do I insert the red, yellow and black wires?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
i'll send you a photo give me a minute

You have a PM, a picture paints a thousand words

Last edited:
yea but thats a white connector not brown :rofl: (excuse the joke)

:thup: good link but the wires are not the same in top diag as the block. yellow is in the middle on the plug but nº3 in the block diag, could prove misleading

the photo of mine is the same as the block ie yellow nº3 same as all my 3 pin fans

Last edited:
if this is a amd stock cooler, all their fans have been made by AVC ( Asia vital components ) ever since the socket A era. Therefore finding their wiring diagrams may be useful if you ever need to get that far, but i think its mostly standardized so theese guys will be able to help you.

red is power, black is ground, yellow is RPM. This goes on the assumption wiring is standard.

red is power, black is ground, yellow is RPM. This goes on the assumption wiring is standard.

I know that but look at the top photo in the link you posted, the yellow is in the middle pin where the red should be, although the diagram below it is correct.

If you had 3 bare wires and followed that what would happen?

I know that but look at the top photo in the link you posted, the yellow is in the middle pin where the red should be, although the diagram below it is correct.

Yeah, the sequence of Red, Black, and Yellow wires is different in the picture than it is in the TABLE of what the wires represent.

if you didn't read the whole page then you probably didn't get the point and the hit in the wallet would drive it home.

if you didn't read the whole page then you probably didn't get the point and the hit in the wallet would drive it home.

I read the whole page, and my picture and table diagram color sequence are different as the other poster mentioned...Have no idea what "hit in the wallet would drive it home" means.

Still haven't figured out which is the proper sequence of the wires based on that link you sent.

the one listed under the pinout, the picture is to show the connector. Cmon...really.

The connector only goes in one way on the mobo header... in looking at the link mor7 posted, setup the brown piece in your hand like you are plugging it in to the mobo (Like the picture in that link). Now put your wires in as the picture shows. To me, starting left to right, thats BLACK, RED, YELLOW. Mor7 please confirm.

With the nipples up and the ports down on the female connector (that sounds weird to say) the black wire goes on the far left, the red in the middle, and the yellow on the right.

Ok, here goes, for 3 pin connectors the sequence is:

Pin 1=GND (black)
Pin 2=Power (red)
Pin 3=RPM (yellow)

The 2510-Z you see is the part number for the connector.
As long as you start with pin 1 and go from there, you will get it right.

In the process of working on another problem, by accident I pulled the Red, Black and Yellow wires of my CPU cooling fan (manufacturer unknown) from the plastic 3 pin connector. I know where the connector goes on the mobo. BUT I don't know what sequence to put the wires into the 3pin plastic housing.

The only thing I can see, on the brown plastic housing it reads the number 13 on one side, and when I flip the plastic connector over it reads from top to bottom (see below), as if each number corresponds to one of the 3 terminals inside the housing.

(blank)
2510-Z

ANY IDEAS?

Thanks in advance.

blue wire?

Hello,

When the four wires of my laptop CPU fan are connected, the fan doesn't spin. However, if I cut the blue wire, it spins normally.

My BIOS firmware is up to date. The problem is that the fan spins at full speed, and I want to be able to vary the speed with SpeedFan, but I have no control over its speed.

This blue wire is supposed to vary the PWM to vary the mean voltage supplied from the mobo to the fan, but in SpeedFan, I can go from 0 to 100% in the PWM fan section. No change.

What could be causing this?
Thanks.

Back