• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU & HIgh end Pascal cards. Optimal setup.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gawg

Registered
Opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Recently I ran into a potential issue with my CPU. I would like to hear some opinions before I do anything, as I'm not 100% confident in this area.

So, I run an i5 3570k at 4.8GHz (won the lottery there!) on a Z77 board, with a single EVGA 1080 FTU with mild (+52MHz core), fan at 60%-65%. (NO GPU OC=similar to below.)
16GB DDR3 GSkill Trident running at 1,820MHz 8-9-9-24 1.56v.

I will give 2 examples of my issue, but there are more. These two fully illustrate my problem/possible problem.

1. Benchmarks: 3DMark Firestrike & Time Spy DX12. I have directly compared numerous other systems to mine with the only variable being the CPU. (Sometimes chipset Z87 etc)
CPU comparisons: 4 + 4 chips. e.g 3770k to 6770k. 8 threads total. vs my 4 cores no HT. i5.
Shocking, consistent findings. Scores for the graphics focused sub-tests are similar. However, for the CPU Sub-test 4 + 4 ave scores are MUCH higher. (Any gen chipset). e.g. Timespy 4 + 4 often 75% higher than mine!!
So, taking into account overclocking, chipset etc I have found that on these tests the CPU score (and therefore total score too) are approx 45% - 80% better on i7 than my i5 even with huge stable OC.

2.Gaming. Recently I highly tweaked Fallout 4 ini files. uGrids at 9, shadow map, distant detail etc all 50% to double Ultra settings. Uses 4.5GB VRAM and 6GB DDR3 after 1 hour play.
Since I did this I have had one blue screen. Fast running H100 water cooling fans, audible. Checking dumps and Event viewer the problem was clearly the CPU.

I always run HWIfo 64 background and every session all 4 cores get maxed at 100% with an average usage of over 70%. When the fan screams in wide vistas occasionally large fps drop, which recovers by looking down, back to rock steady. Before tweaks Always rock steady unchangeable fps. BTW the CPU doesn't throttle or overheat due to tuning and strong cooling.

I think that at these high game settings, and in comprehensive Benchmarks, my i5 3570k @ 4.8GHz is the limiting factor.

Finally. Main Question: I have a spare newish i7 3770k which will run at 4.5GHz, maybe more. So it is easy to swap CPUs. Do you think I should install the i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz?

1. Those futuremark benchmarks, the physics tests, are cpu only and factor into the score. The more cores/threads, the higher the score will be.

2. Clearly? Maybe. What was the bsod code?

While it's clear in those benchmarks it's a bottleneck, most games don't use more than four cores. Synthetic benchmarks are not a great way to compare against gaming performance.

As far as if you install the 3770k, it will surely help synthetic benchmarks... as for games, it depends on the title.

1. Those futuremark benchmarks, the physics tests, are cpu only and factor into the score. The more cores/threads, the higher the score will be.

2. Clearly? Maybe. What was the bsod code?

While it's clear in those benchmarks it's a bottleneck, most games don't use more than four cores. Synthetic benchmarks are not a great way to compare against gaming performance.

As far as if you install the 3770k, it will surely help synthetic benchmarks... as for games, it depends on the title.

Thanks again EarthDog. Read your answer on Techpowerup too. Alls good, cheers!

Issue solved due to help from others. I will use i7.

Earthdog, sorry you read my question twice. I didn't know you are editor/moderator in more than one forum.

Back