• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU is overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm using a 212 Evo with the included stock paste on a 3930k. Full load temps are below 65C.

As a test, put some load on it and then feel the copper pipes where they connect to the fins. If one pair seems to be unusually cool, it could have lost its refrigerant charge.

Refrigerant charge? :-/
Do I really have to do a 'how heat pipes work' lesson here?

Isn't it water in a vacuum inside there? But at the same time a refrigerant does change phases...the water does too, solo.. is it technically a refrigerant in the loosest possible sense of the word? Lol!

The Icon for Prime95 is Green when a test is running, and Red when it is stopped.

Test running:
Prime95 running screen shot.jpg

Test stopped:
Prime95 stopped screen shot.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't it water in a vacuum inside there? But at the same time a refrigerant does change phases...the water does too, solo.. is it technically a refrigerant in the loosest possible sense of the word? Lol!
Don't you think you're stretching it just a little? :D

yes i did take did off the sticker

ok thank you tech tweaker i know i was right :)

Last edited:
yes my fans are blowing into the fins

i only have 1 fan i used the dot method

Last edited:
yes my fans are blowing into the fins
Not both fans, right? 1 blowing in, the other blowing away.

How much thermal paste? The normal dot method doesn't work on this HS. You basically have to 'butter' the whole base to fill in all the gaps. In other words, you need much more paste than you would normally use.

Not both fans, right? 1 blowing in, the other blowing away.

How much thermal paste? The normal dot method doesn't work on this HS. You basically have to 'butter' the whole base to fill in all the gaps. In other words, you need much more paste than you would normally use.

i used the dot method i thought it would work because of every heatsink i used i put used the dot method so your saying i have to spread out the thermal paste? i had some arctic silver paste but i lost it so i had to use the cooler master stock paste i'll try what your saying and get back to you

i only have 1 fan my heatsink is facing vertical because my ram gets in the away put my fan where opposite of the ram. facing my back exhaust fan its really giving me a headache

Last edited:
i used the dot method i thought it would work because of every heatsink i used i put used the dot method so your saying i have to spread out the thermal paste? i had some arctic silver paste but i lost it so i had to use the cooler master stock paste i'll try what your saying and get back to you
The Cooler Master paste is really not much different than AS5. It's fine. Yes, more paste. Just like buttering a piece of bread. FWIW, this is the only HS I've ever had to do this with.

i only have 1 fan my heatsink is facing vertical because my ram gets in the away put my fan where opposite of the ram. facing my back exhaust fan its really giving me a headache
So....you have 1 fan pulling air through the fins? Pic or draw it for me. Need to see it.

The Cooler Master paste is really not much different than AS5. It's fine. Yes, more paste. Just like buttering a piece of bread. FWIW, this is the only HS I've ever had to do this with.

i noticed the Artic silver 5 is much more liquid

ok fractal design define r4 has 2 fans on at the front and the back i have my cooler vertical facing the I/O shield near the back exhaust fan because my ram hits the metal fins

Last edited:
ok fractal design define r4 has 2 fans on at the front and the back i have my cooler vertical facing the I/O shield near the back exhaust fan because my ram hits the metal fins
And the fan on the 212 is blowing toward the exhaust fan, or away?

the 212 fan is blowing towards the exhaust fan

do you still need a picture? i can get it for you it won't be easy though :rain:

Like this then. If yes, then it's the paste.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 40
Not change, just use more. Clean it off and start again.....and tighten the mount right down till it stops.

i should clean it with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol or should i spend $10-$15 on a thermal paste remover kit i'll try that out and i'll let know if i get any success

Back