• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU mining

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

87dtna

So I know CPU mining isn't near as profitable as GPU's, but it still seems to be worth it if you have a decently power efficient CPU. What I was wondering is if there was any way to optimize CPU mining with CryptoNight? I'm just using Nicehash for the simplicity/ease. Does ram speed/timing make a difference? Any other settings?

Right now I have 2 mining rigs going, one with an I5 8400 and an I5 3570s overclocked to 3.8ghz. They both consume about 40w each at the wall above idle. I get about 167 h/s with the 8400 and 122 h/s with the 3470s which yields about $1 per day combined. So thats ~$30 a month worth at current BTC price and thats roughly $8 of electric. Like I said, not nearly as profitable as GPU's but still profitable so I figure why let the CPU's sit idle. Just wondering if there's something I can do to optimize settings for more gains.

I haven't tried to really keep track/mine with my CPU but when it does post to the network its right around 30H/sec for me @ 30W... or $7 a month profit with Zcash. Thats when I had it on, right now I turned it off because it would really bog down my rig when I needed to get access to it. I'd be curious with NiceHash of doing it but payout for something like that would probably take waaay to long to be even considered since I don't run it otherwise.

This is with the 6700k at 4.5ghz? Its only adding 30w under load?? Seems hard to believe when my 65w TDP cpu's are adding 40w.

I made about $35 mining earnhoney in a VM last month. Keep in mind that coin had recently crossed a halving so the profitability has decreased substantially. It's also quite bandwidth intensive.

This is with the 6700k at 4.5ghz? Its only adding 30w under load?? Seems hard to believe when my 65w TDP cpu's are adding 40w.

No that was with my 2500k @ 3.2ghz using 2 cores, least when it registered.

Ahh, that makes much more sense then. I was wondering what your trick was lol.

Yeah in my remote rig. I keep it i believe under volted and I reduced the clocks to help keep it a little cooler since its using a stock heatsink. Still can clock it to around 3.8-4Ghz actually and keep it cool running suprisingly with that heatsink, just not mining with the cards :)

Back