• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU multiplier in regards to testing ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

apesoccer

Is there a point where you can drop the multiplier too far? I've found that a good way to test memory (in the past), has been to drop the multiplier a good way, then up the fsb... I'm begining to question that a little...

For instance, i have some tccd, that i tested up to 330 on a 4x multi, without issue. But on a 6x multi, i couldn't hit 300. (3000+ winchester paired with asus a8n-sli deluxe board...)(tested with superPi 32m, memtest86+ from bootable cd, futuremark suite)

Now I'm testing some ch-5 hyperX stuff on my dfi expert...I'm having trouble making 230 stable on a 11x multi, but dropping it off to 4x and i'm at 240 so far, and am continuing to test. No errors so far at 250... (testing with memtest86+ onboard; primarily tests 5, 7) (running 2 3 2 8 12 14 3 3 1T [i can provide full memory timings if needed] @ 2.92v and stock vcore)

The reason i'm asking, is i was under the impression that 240 was about the top end for ch-5...but i seem to be pushing beyond that...
[edit: 260...]
[edit: now testing 270...running all memtest86+ still 2.92v and stock vcore]
[edit: errors @ 270 only a few seconds in to testing...no errors on 1-6]
[edit: dropping to 260 and rerunning all memtest86+ same v and vcore]
[edit: 260 ran without errors 2x through all tests]
[edit: 230 not possible on 9x at current timings, 2.92-3.01v and up to 1.5vc]
[edit: 220 fails 11x 2.92v and stock-1.45vc]

Meh OK...it should be able to do 220...I must have a timing off or something...

Last edited:
Just try to keep the CPU as close to spec as possible. Being slightly under or over shoudn't affect it, but being way under or over can.

lol...well i've got 2 pair of 2gb(2x1024) good to 250, and some tccd...lol. Oh well. =)

I was using this just to try out, until my set of ocz gold 4000 stuff got here (when it got here...i *was* going to trade out with the tccd...). I've had this hyperX stuff for some time, but hadn't ever tried to oc it. None of the stuff i have is high voltage though. =/ This ch stuff is probably the highest.

I tried running a 7x multi on my X2, it corrupted the CMOS badly. Had the leave my MB unplugged with the battery out for an hour to get it to boot again.

Back