• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU overclock causes FPS loss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hockeyadc

Registered
Here's my setup:

A10-5800k
Asus F2A55M-LK Plus
G.Skill Sniper Series 2x4GB DDR3 1866 Ram
Rosewill RCX-ZAIO-92 Cooler

Here is where the issue gets odd. Whenever I overclock my CPU speed, I get a major loss of performance. I tested a few different scenarios to prove this issue, using the Ungine Valley benchmark. Here are the three scores:

Stock:
Average FPS: 19
Score: 796
Min FPS: 11.0
Max FPS: 32.9

CPU Speed Stock, iGPU OC'd to 950mhz(from 800mhz)

Average FPS: 20.9
Score 872:
Min FPS: 11.7
Max FPS: 36.3

Now here is where it gets pretty bad.

CPU Speed OC'd to 4.4GHZ(from 3.8), Stock iGPU

Average FPS: 17.9
Score: 748
Min FPS: 6.7
Max FPS: 29.8

Playing a game with the CPU overclocked is very bad. The FPS drops like crazy compared to stock.

So what could be going on here? I thought voltages, but when I adjust the CPU multiplier, it automatically moves the voltage up for me. At 4.4GHZ the voltage was 1.5...My temps never get above 60C either.

I can't figure it out.

Are you sure the overclock is stable?

The board might be throttling the CPU, that's not exactly a strong overclocking motherboard.

I 2nd the thermal; throttling. There probably is no option to turn it off. I have the same issue with my A8.

Cpu core 0 reaches 65c and it throttles the cpu speed as far down as 800mhz but will retain the voltage if C1E and power saving features are turned off. This is why your frame rates drop so darn badly.

The only thing you can do is manually adjust the cpu voltage and try for a stable overclock. I'd think that 1.5v is Way too high for only 4.4ghz. Try closer to only 1.4v.

I have seen many times when an overclock was unstable and the cpu had to do error correction and waste time; that the scores dropped and thus the FPS.

Since you have CPU and GPU both overclocked the issue could be with either or even some of both giving issue.
RGone...

He has the issue when IGP is at stock..... option three on his list.

I did extensive research on AMD when I was deciding on which platform I wanted to try this time.

When you overclock the CPU on a 5800K cpu there is so little headroom(TDP) leftover that you are almost guaranteed to throttle the iGPU.

Also the faster CPU speed does you no good when dealing with the iGPU or even a single discrete GPU for that matter in most games.

Stick with the max iGPU and also the memory to get the max performance from your iGPU.

See this review for detailed explanation of what I am talking about.

5800K Overclock scaling review

I 2nd the thermal; throttling. There probably is no option to turn it off. I have the same issue with my A8.

Cpu core 0 reaches 65c and it throttles the cpu speed as far down as 800mhz but will retain the voltage if C1E and power saving features are turned off. This is why your frame rates drop so darn badly.

The only thing you can do is manually adjust the cpu voltage and try for a stable overclock. I'd think that 1.5v is Way too high for only 4.4ghz. Try closer to only 1.4v.

What would thermal throttling me called in the BIOS? I can look to see of I can turn it off

I did extensive research on AMD when I was deciding on which platform I wanted to try this time.

When you overclock the CPU on a 5800K cpu there is so little headroom(TDP) leftover that you are almost guaranteed to throttle the iGPU.

Also the faster CPU speed does you no good when dealing with the iGPU or even a single discrete GPU for that matter in most games.

Stick with the max iGPU and also the memory to get the max performance from your iGPU.

See this review for detailed explanation of what I am talking about.

5800K Overclock scaling review

You know. This makes sense. When I was checking the total power consumption after overclocking, it would not go over 100w. Seemed very odd to me. There is no way to increase this TDP?

OK so I think I MAY have figured this out.

I have two settings in my BIOS:
CPU Current Capability
CPU/NB Current Capability

These were both set to 100% so I changed them to 110%

Also CPU Power Duty Control: T.Probe I changed to Extreme.

Overclocked to 4.2GHZ with GPU still at 950:

FPS: 20.9
Score: 872
min FPS: 12.5
Max FPS: 35.9

So it seems stable. The question now, is this safe what I did? Vcore and VDDNB Voltage still on auto. I saw the Vcore around 1.4V

I'm going to state this again before you hurt something, that board isn't made for overclocking.

It has just enough of a VRM section to push a stock 5800k. There are no heatsinks on the power delivery section and pushing them too hard could easily cause one to overheat and fail.

If you want to overclock your CPU, I would recommend doing it on a new motherboard.

Back