• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU showing up as different model than it is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Well, I am in a strange predicament here.

Bought an Intel Pentium 4 560 (SL7NZ) E0 stepping for the Team Cup. It shows Pentium 4 (SL7NZ) printed on the IHS, but when I put it in my board and fired it up it shows Intel Pentium 4 561 (SL8J6) E0 stepping in CPU-Z (which is not allowed).

I'm not sure whether I can submit with this or not, since it says physically on the CPU itself that it is a SL7NZ Pentium 4 560, but the software shows it as being an SL8J6 Pentium 4 561. I see no signs of tampering with the IHS that would show it had been removed from one CPU and then attached to this CPU.

Is it possible this was mis-stamped at the factory, or that the microcode wasn't programmed correctly? Anyone know what's going on here?

That's what I figured, just wanted to double check.

I assume its possible that Intel messed up, and mis-stamped/programmed the chip. Not sure what to tell you.

Back