• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU/Socket Qs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GunnerMan

Now my system is AMD but I am going to build my dad an Intel system as that is what he needs, to tell you the truth I don't know the first thing about these Intel chips. I was looking for a CPU and motherboard for him, but this is the CPU section so I will focus on the CPU. I found and P4 3.0E Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 1 Mb L2 Cache with HT, it has an Prescott core and Socket 478, the price on this is 190 on Newegg, is this a good CPU? I hear Prescotts run quite hot and I plan on useing the stock cooler because he uses the comp to read news, check email, and word process, so I guess temps shoudint be a huge issue. Is this a good CPU? I can have the price go up a bit more for the price but whats the better or best socket type and core because even though hes not gonna OC it etc I want him to have a fast computer because you do not know how amy times his current PC crashes on him, if you thought every 20 mins or when he is on AOL checking email you guess right(and no dont use AOL :rolleyes: ) Also thing needs to last as long as I can with this price range because well he dosent even want me to build him this one, says its a waste of money but I am tired of his 500Mhz Celeron, 256 SDRAM Gateway.... Thanks for the assistance....

GunnerMan said:
Now my system is AMD but I am going to build my dad an Intel system as that is what he needs, to tell you the truth I don't know the first thing about these Intel chips. I was looking for a CPU and motherboard for him, but this is the CPU section so I will focus on the CPU. I found and P4 3.0E Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 1 Mb L2 Cache with HT, it has an Prescott core and Socket 478, the price on this is 190 on Newegg, is this a good CPU? I hear Prescotts run quite hot and I plan on useing the stock cooler because he uses the comp to read news, check email, and word process, so I guess temps shoudint be a huge issue. Is this a good CPU? I can have the price go up a bit more for the price but whats the better or best socket type and core because even though hes not gonna OC it etc I want him to have a fast computer because you do not know how amy times his current PC crashes on him, if you thought every 20 mins or when he is on AOL checking email you guess right(and no dont use AOL :rolleyes: ) Also thing needs to last as long as I can with this price range because well he dosent even want me to build him this one, says its a waste of money but I am tired of his 500Mhz Celeron, 256 SDRAM Gateway.... Thanks for the assistance....

thats a good cpu, especially for the price. If you dont plan on overclocking, then heat dosnt really matter, but the prescotts do get very hot. I have a prescott though, and it's not as horrible as people sound, in fact I love this cpu. I might consider a northwood core though, because they run cooler, and have better performance until about 3.7 ghz.

For the purposes you want to use the computer for, I'd suggest a better value would be a $70 Celeron-D 2.4Ghz (can overclock up to 3.6Ghz if needed) socket 478pin. It runs a lot cooler but has a P4 Prescott core.

Thanks well I could not find an 3 Ghz Northwood CPU, found a 2.2 or 2.4 for about 200 anything hgher was way over my price limit so unless Northwood has extreme performance increase wich I doubt seems the 3 Ghz Prescott would be better than a 2.4 Ghz Northwood when there almost both the same price....

Yeah, a prescott is a little overkill. Kinda like buying a sports car but only driving on residential streets at 25mph...
Seems like a northwood or even celeron would be good enough.

GunnerMan said:
OK thanks, I will go look at the celerons then, I just kinda figured myse well get a sports car now so it works for at leasta few years....
True, you could go that route if ya want to, just thought it might save ya a little $$ now. A northwood would be a nice compromise between the two though.

GunnerMan said:
... I am going to build my dad an Intel system as that is what he needs, to tell you the truth I don't know the first thing about these Intel chips.... he uses the comp to read news, check email, and word process, so I guess temps shoudint be a huge issue..... because even though hes not gonna OC it etc I want him to have a fast computer because you do not know how amy times his current PC crashes on him.... Also thing needs to last as long as I can with this price range because well he dosent even want me to build him this one, says its a waste of money but I am tired of his 500Mhz Celeron, 256 SDRAM Gateway.... Thanks for the assistance....

Look into a combo either from Newegg or a local store. I too was faced with building my father a new computer setup, and we found a good combo at our local Fry's store. P4 2.4gHz/hsf/ECS mobo $125, I personally wouldn't buy this for overclocking but as a budget box for dad's! I put the thing together with a $69 - DVD burner, $80 - 512MB mem, $25 - case with cheapo ps, $40 - 64MB video card and allready had a good 60gb hd. The little thing screams compaired to his 700mHz PIII, and burns dvds and cds to boot. Whole budget system cost us about $300 us and runs smooth as glass.

Hope that helps...

Well I just got him the Prescott :sn: . And 512 mbs Valu Select corsair PC3200 RAM and a Gugabye mob with integrated vid and sound, I think it will scream compared to his 500Mhz Celeron, we also got him a DVD burner and a good nice looking 50 dollar case. Will all be here tomrrow :thup:

Back