• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cpu temp rises when ram mhz increases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scoObi_OC

Registered
humm i have a temp issue, specs

mobo: msi m7 z270 - cpu: i7 770k - ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 DC 16GB - Cooler: Silver arrow dual 140m x2

Bios 1.2 all set on AUTO, Except ram voltage 1.35 / 2133 mhz to make base line for temps .. (auto vcore 1.2v)

idle: 31c-32c
load: 60c-61c (aida64)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now i set xmp profile - ram voltage 1.35/3200 mhz ... (auto vcore 1.2v)

Idle now: 34c-36c
Load now: 70c-72c

Please explain this for me what is wrong here ...

Last edited:
Nothing is wrong, by increasing the ram speed you're also increasing the amount of work being done in the same amount of time. More work=more heat

thanks, just wanted to know if it was faulty harware..

so memory load (MHZ) increases temp even if the voltage stays the same.. did i get that correct..

thanks, just wanted to know if it was faulty harware..

so memory load (MHZ) increases temp even if the voltage stays the same.. did i get that correct..

Running the RAM at higher frequencies makes the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) work harder at the same voltage. The ICM is part of the CPU so the extra strain makes it run hotter and thus the whole CPU runs a little hotter. You would see the same effect with increasing the frequency of the CPU cores while keeping the core voltage the same. More voltage makes more heat but so does more speed even without adding more voltage.

how much is a little hotter, ? .) mine runs +12c hottere when XMP is on

It may be that some of the other voltages are being effected by the xmp profile outside of just the DRAM voltage such as the VCCIO voltage or the SA voltage. this could account for some of the heat increase if these are getting boosted automatically.

+1 when you set XMP it will automatically raise the Vccio and Vccsa a little for the memory controller.

Vccio Stock Intel 0.960v XMP= 1.165v
Vccsa (System Agent) stock Intel 1.060v XMP= 1.248v

What is yours with HWiNFO64?

Vccsa.jpg

Vccio Stock Intel 0.952v XMP= 1.256v
Vccsa (System Agent) stock Intel 1.064v XMP= 1.272v

DIMM Stock 1.2v (2133MHz) XMP=1.36V (3200 MHz)

check your system agent volts and VCCIO volts most brands call them something along those lines with Z270 I noticed it upped the volts beyond way beyond whats need to keep them stable and dont be fooled by it still being white in the bios manually type in the same number and I bet it turns red. My 3200MHz memory on mu MSI gaming M7 board pumped it up to like 1.35 iirc I have since dialed it down to 1.180 iirc 1.25 was where redline starts and I noticed a decrease in temps overall.

I see we have the same board brb I'll tell ya exactly which ones they are.

CPU SA Voltage
CPU IO Voltage

ok first at all again thanks to evry one..

ON air cooler silwer arrow dual

(Testing with prime 26.6) max LOAD 79c ... Stock settings XMP on -

(Testing with prime 26.6) max LOAD 69c ... Stock settings XMP oFF

now S I N yes you right .. vccio vccsa was cranked up i dialed them down to 1.1 1.1 .. but didnt see the big different in temps, a little -2 ..

Could you post your bios settings to me i would be triled .. and any other fun BUGs about this board ? :)

as for the OC KNOB a quik Q .. what does the "big button" on it do, dosent do anthing here other than turn on red light LED :) ..

and what is you setting in bios regards the SW OR HW control ..

when selecting SW should the white light stay all the time during boot an windows etc ?`

first off I dont use the oc knob so havent even checked out its functionality.

I'm still tweaking mine out as I have other minor issues to work out with the whole build. not sure what you are referring to with the SW or HW control.

As far as some settings every board and chip will be different even when the board and chip are the same vendors. Mines running at 4.9 GHz with 1.35 vcore with digital power (loadline) set to 4 max temps on hottest core is 73c running dual 360mm rads in a sandwich and fans at 900rpm. I have to runs rads this way due to case design. so its fan/rad/case wall/fan/rad/fan cpu ang gpu in loop while gaming I hit max 58c on cpu and 45c on gpu.

wow 1.1 on each lol I havent gotten down that low yet just been doing .10 at a time then running it a few days and checking stability. yeah its not a huge drop in temps but it was a drop lol.

what is your avx offset ?? when stress testing ?? if any ..

Q: is it the CPU who request the voltages or is it the motherboard/bios who controls the voltages..

Last edited:
AVX offset, is for folks that want to down clock the CPU when running a program with AVX extensions.

LOL .. im on air so no luck for me running full bore, AVX = hot barbecue party :)

tweaked it a little more .. [email protected] med AVX -4 . XMP 2666MHz - VCCIO 1.180 - VCCSA 1.100 - DIMM 1.35v .
Passed OCCT Line Pack, 3 hours stress.

MAX heat down to 74c OCCT - Prime95 77c :)

Lets have your opinion on - AIO Corsair TOP Water H115i vs noctua NH-D15 TOP Air...

is AIO worth it, or only custom Water that will work.

Back