• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Temps (Need advice/tips)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[Grats] Mambo

Hello everyone, this is first time being on OCF. I've read some posts and am very confident in the experience most of you have from what i've seen. So here is my question(s)

How hot should my i7 4790k Devil's Canyon Idle at while overclocked @ 4.5Ghz? My voltage is as follows;
CPU Input Volt. 1.810 V
Vcore Volt. 1.180 V
CPU Vcore Voltage Mode is set to adaptive.
Currently it's Idle at 31-35c on a Hyper 212 EVO with 2 corsair static pressure fans in a push/pull config. Ambient temp in the room is aprox 23-24c

Also, I run AIDA64 Extreme and use the CPU/cache/memory/GPU stress tests and my hardware goes to about 60-70c on 100% load. Is this normal for the OC settings I am currently at?
should I add/remove anything? Need more info? just ask! OCSettings1.png

Last edited:
It is difficult to tell anyone what their processor should be at temp wise no matter what the voltage is, every processor is different. I do not pay much attention to idle temps unless they are unusually high, which yours are not. Using AIDA as a stress test temps in the 60-70c range seem to be about right. As long as you stay below 90c you're fine.

If you haven't already read it this is a good guide for the Haswell platform

+1 Mandrake4565, thank you for putting my mind at ease lol. I just got this new hardware and the last thing I need is a blowout :X So thank you again! And i'm going to look over the Haswell guide you linked me too, appreciate it bud!

This guide has said that most Haswell based CPU's will see upwards up ~90c while on 100% load using AIDA64, So I am confident that I have got a top ~50th percentile chip. more OC results comming to further hone in on the capabilities of my new CPU.

Last edited:
This guide has said that most Haswell based CPU's will see upwards up ~90c while on 100% load using AIDA64, So I am confident that I have got a top ~50th percentile chip. more OC results comming to further hone in on the capabilities of my new CPU.

You're very welcome. To comment on the temps stated in the guide, it was written when the Haswells first came out ie 4670k and 4770k. The 4690k and 4790k chips were slightly changed from the, 1st generation, if you will, Haswells. They have better Thermal Interface Material and also has additional capacitors placed on the die, both to try and help with the heat produced by the 4670 and 4770 chips. I believe the changes helped the chips stay about 5c cooler on average. That all said you still have pretty good temps and nothing to worry about.

I'm having trouble with the FPU tests on AIDA64, It just jumps too 100c and I shut it off instantly, while the CPU,Cache,Memory,GPU tests are all fine. Not too sure what to do. I've reapplied thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) and have a EVO 212 with push/pull, lots of case fans pulling air in and out. Not sure how to go about this.

Really not much you can do, the 4790k is a hot chip even with the improvements. The Coolermaster 212 Evo is a good heatsink but maybe not good enough for the Oc you're going for. I'm only able to do 4.4 on my 4770k even on a full custom H2O loop, albeit my 4770k is a bit hotter then your average chip. You can try taking the case door off and see if the temps drop, if so then you might need more airflow through the case. I bet that it's more likely that the CM 212 is just topped out. Just to make sure, check and see if your heatsink fans are in push pull configuration. I've made mistakes before and accidentally set the fans up in push push or pull pull before. :shrug:

Everything seems to be fine now, I have ran AIDA64 stress tests again and my CPU, FPU ,Cache, System Memory all stay within 55-65c now. I've reapplied thermal paste and lowered my OC to 4.3Ghz to be safe while stress testing. A few times the CPU hit over 70c but didn;t last more than a few seconds before dropping to low 60's. Both fans are correctly set up, with a push/pull and heat the dissipation is having no problems anymore. I believe it was the CPU clock just too high. I'm more than willing to sacrifice 200Mhz for longevity in my CPU :p It's still OC'd and at very stable temps now.

PS. I lost my Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, So i used the Cooler Master TP that came with my Hyper 212 EVO. Is the quality still good? or should I be using the Arctic TP?

Everything seems to be fine now, I have ran AIDA64 stress tests again and my CPU, FPU ,Cache, System Memory all stay within 55-65c now. I've reapplied thermal paste and lowered my OC to 4.3Ghz to be safe while stress testing. A few times the CPU hit over 70c but didn;t last more than a few seconds before dropping to low 60's. Both fans are correctly set up, with a push/pull and heat the dissipation is having no problems anymore. I believe it was the CPU clock just too high. I'm more than willing to sacrifice 200Mhz for longevity in my CPU :p It's still OC'd and at very stable temps now.

PS. I lost my Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste, So i used the Cooler Master TP that came with my Hyper 212 EVO. Is the quality still good? or should I be using the Arctic TP?

Lets talk about reality, it is likely that under normal circumstances you will not notice any difference between the Cpu oced at 4.3 vs say for example 4.8. It is really only when benchmarking when you will notice the difference. If you are gaming with it and monitor your Fps, depending on the game and how many Gpu's you have you will likely see an improvement with FPS at 4.8 vs 4.3 though only if monitoring it. Visually you likely will not notice it at all.

As far as the TIM, the one that came with the 212 is fine. If you look at a comparison of TIM's the difference between the very best and the worst is 3-5c tops. I have used the TIM that came with the CM 212 and it is fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back