• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU TMPIN2 overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lffoar

Hi all,
Got an overheating problem so over to the gurus here.
I was trying to convert a movie from MKV to AVI using Freemake video converter when an alarm sounded from the tower. I closed the program, installed HWMON, started conversion again and checked temps.
The TMPIN2 sensor went to 80 degrees and the alarm sounded again so closed down. I thought maybe thermal paste but I've never seated or re-seated a CPU so went to Dr Google. Read up a bit and pulled out the CPU and heatsink, cleaned both with isopropyl alcohol and used the 2 line method to re-seat it. Ran it for a couple of hours and all seemed OK so tried another movie conversion.......Grrrrr, watched HWMON temps raise slowly until the alarm went off again. This time it did last a bit longer before sounding. Temp graph attached.
System specs
Motherboard:
Gigabyte: Model H97-D3H Intel H97 S1150
CPU: Intel Haswell. Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz 8mb LGA 1150
GPU: Gainward Nvidia GTX760 2Gb PCI-E VGA
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16Gb (8gbx2) DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 PRO series. 256Gb SATA 3
HDD: Western Digital 3.5” Black 1Tb SATA 3 7200rpm
PSU: Antec HCG-620w High Current Gamer
Case: Thermaltake A41 USB3 Mid Tower

Attachments

• temps.PNG
    temps.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,892
What CPU cooler are you using ? Stock ?
My first guess, since I don't know for sure what that sensor reading is would be package temp or VRM temp. One thing that would help is first if you use a good aftermarket cooler. Put active cooling such as a fan pointed right at the Heatsink for VRM ( yellow ones) and make sure you have good airflow through the case.

I think the TMPIN2 is the CPU socket's temps.
The min-max temps variations are quite near to the i7 4790 reported value.

I wouldn't surprise for the temps if you're using the stock CPU cooler.
But of course, as Johan 45 said; what CPU cooler are you using?

the fans 2-4 are quite slow, though the rest of the system temps look quite OK

Thanks fellers for your input. I bit the bullet and bought an after market cooler. Only a cheapie but it's done the job. Installed it and CPU temps are now around 50-60 degrees under heavy load
Consider it closed.

Back