• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cooling failure wondering about cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zhirq

I'm having trouble getting my system overclocked and stable i know its not a heat issue.

I used to have one of those piece of crap closed loop water cooling (never again not even if I were paid 1,000$). Anyway here is what happened. I had a corsair H60 on my 1090T NOT overclocked and running fully stock settings. One day my computer is going crazy with blue screens every 15 minutes and after the 6+ BSOD I decided to see wtf was going on so i shut it down and opened up the case, as soon as I did it felt like an oven inside. I went and got my IR temperature gun and the rad/cpu area flashed 192F and climbed to 202F.

I scrapped that POS closed loop system and put together a decent real water cooling system that was a triple 120mm rad and my loop is pump/res ---> rad --->cpu---> vga ---> pump/res

my idle temps while OCed to 3.8ghz is 35c, vga is 52c. under a decent gaming run which i will say have Ragnarok online dual client going + skyrim with near maxed settings and my temps barely raise at all..the cpu maybe goes to 37c and the vga stays the same. intelburn pushes cpu to around 46c and vga to 55c.

Anyway my issue seems to be keeping the system stable. at 3.8GHZ i cannot lower the vcore below 4.75v or windows will fail to boot. My settings are as follows

ram is corsair dom 12GB 9-9-9-24 timing not over clocked if anything i had to lower it to 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz to keep it more stable
voltages are

vcore 1.475...ram 1.65v. CPU NB 1.35v
CPU 3.8ghz, NB 2600, htt 2000 fsb 200
rest of the voltages are left alone/auto settings
C1e, turbo, cool and quiet turned off
MB is GB 870FX UD5 rev 3.1
id say the system is around 80% stable as it will pass intelburn however i will leave my pc idle and come back to a random bsod paging/memory handle, etc errors mostly.

So is it possible something on the cpu got damaged from that crappy H60 overheating like that? I was looking at the FX series however they are about the same in performance so its not like i will be gaining anything except maybe a harder overclock? is there anyway to test the cpu to see if the cores are ok? I'm going to guess and say maybe someething on the cpu got toasted. If thats the case what would be a good replacement?

And just for fun system is about 40% stable at 4GZ and wont boot windows beyond that.

Last edited:
It could also be the motherboard or the RAM. I would test the RAM with Memtest86+ for several hours. Also, you CPUNB voltage at 1.35 seems awfully high to me with the frequency of the CPUNB only being 2600 mhz. I wold trying lowering that to 1.25.

Opps yea that was a typo i had meant 1.25 for my NB. I noticed it doing something
else strange it seems my core 0 would randomly take breaks and just completely stop doing anything. For example with P95 it would be on test 2 while all the other cores were on test 9+. This is of course with reduced OC settings too. Guess i'll check the ram too then. Why i thoguht it was the cpu was again with core 0 when it did work it would either load and spike to 100% while the other cores were at or near the same % load or it would flat line to 0% while the other 5 cores again were at the same load %

Another typo you have in your first post is in your fifth paragraph where you say your vcore was at 4.75 but you correct that lower down and state it to be 1.475.

Back