• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU_FAN_ vs CPU_OPT headers on Asus X99-AII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eco_bach

As a novice builder somewhat confused by all the various fan headers on my mobo.
Am I correct in assuming that ONLY the CPU_FAN header has PWM signal capability?

Or is each mobo different?

And what is the difference between the PUMP and CPU_OPT headers?

The PUMP header should run full speed all the time. Any header with 4 pins should be PWM. CPU-OPT is for a second CPU (air) cooler fan generally. That's the header I use for my radiator fans.

CPU_OPT is functionally identical to CPU_FAN. the same signals get passed to both and will change speed relative to CPU temperature.

I actually run 4x PWM fans off of my 2 CPU headers, 2 split off from CPU_FAN and 2 split off from CPU_OPT. each header is rated at 1A and 2 fans on each is less than half of the rating so it's perfectly safe. these fan are on my radiators, and all 4 spin up and change in-sync in response to CPU temps.

W_Pump is obviously for a water pump connection. But really only suitable for the low power AIO pumps since it still only carries the 1A rating. I use the speed signal wire only from my Laing D5 pump to the W_Pump connector for monitoring pump speed (and the MB recognizes it as a pump, not a fan), but the pump is powered from a 4-pin molex since it's rated for up to 2A.

Back