• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crappy 4800 x2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firstdegreeab

I've been running my 4800 X2 at 230x12 and after 20min-2hrs playing cs or dod, the computer either shuts off imedialy or just freezes repeating the last second of audio over and over, and i need to restart system. I thought it was my pc3200 at 2.5-3.2-5, but i lowered the ram speed to 166 and still same thing. I then ran two prime 95's, one per core, and core #1, affinity 0, keeps crashing after 20min. So i lowered freq to 225x12 same thing but after 30 min of prime95. Down to 220 same thing. down to 215 same thing. Down to 210 bringing back up mem speed to pc3200 w/ 2-3-2-5 timings and prime95 ran for 3hrs w/o an error. then i wanted to play dod. I've tried every config in the bios with voltage, all the way up to everything maxed. #2 core, affinity 1, ran fine at all frequencies even at 235x12. Did i just get an extremely crappy 4800 X2. I now know that koolance cooling isn't the best in the world, but i should be fine for what i've done so, it deffinatly doesn't sound like a heat issue. On the plus side my x1900xt oc's to 715core and 805ram. not bad for an xt w/ stock cooling. Back to the 4800, any sugestions. It really sucks when your a student and try building a sweet rig, the the cpu you thought was going to kick *** is a piece of SH%T. I paid around $750 from newegg 2 months ago. The system is stable at 230x12 in everything except games and torture tests in prime95. If i could tell any newcommer to oc'ing, please build a relatively cheap first system, understand what you are doing and the components, then for your next rig go all out. There are so many things i would have done different now that i know better. Thanks for listening to my rant, and if you have any suggestions please help me out. I'm almost considering that other company that starts with an "I". Sorry i had to say it.

Last edited:
well you could always sell the x2 4800 to someone that doesnt overclock and salvage your money and buy a 165 !

if it's not prime95 stable for a long time of course it will crash. I'd take a look at your memory settings...4 1gig sticks aint the best for oc'ing. The best overclocks come from cheaper lower end cpus that you can blast up :)

Darkdashing said:
if it's not prime95 stable for a long time of course it will crash. I'd take a look at your memory settings...4 1gig sticks aint the best for oc'ing. The best overclocks come from cheaper lower end cpus that you can blast up :)

The 165/170/175 opterons are anything but low end. They are designed for the sigma standard instead of regular desktops.

Um, whats your voltage at? at 2.7 my 3800 x2 took 1.55
Do not take the vcore beyond 1.55 unless you're willing to take the risk though. What are your temps? Mine would also get unstable past 50*C and if upping your voltage isnt helping it might be a temps prob. Watch prime with a temp monitor going and see if it crashes at a certain temp.

firstdegreeab said:
I've been running my 4800 X2 at 230x12 and after 20min-2hrs playing cs or dod, the computer either shuts off imedialy or just freezes repeating the last second of audio over and over, and i need to restart system. I thought it was my pc3200 at 2.5-3.2-5, but i lowered the ram speed to 166 and still same thing. I then ran two prime 95's, one per core, and core #1, affinity 0, keeps crashing after 20min. So i lowered freq to 225x12 same thing but after 30 min of prime95. Down to 220 same thing. down to 215 same thing. Down to 210 bringing back up mem speed to pc3200 w/ 2-3-2-5 timings and prime95 ran for 3hrs w/o an error. then i wanted to play dod. I've tried every config in the bios with voltage, all the way up to everything maxed. #2 core, affinity 1, ran fine at all frequencies even at 235x12. Did i just get an extremely crappy 4800 X2. I now know that koolance cooling isn't the best in the world, but i should be fine for what i've done so, it deffinatly doesn't sound like a heat issue. On the plus side my x1900xt oc's to 715core and 805ram. not bad for an xt w/ stock cooling. Back to the 4800, any sugestions. It really sucks when your a student and try building a sweet rig, the the cpu you thought was going to kick *** is a piece of SH%T. I paid around $750 from newegg 2 months ago. The system is stable at 230x12 in everything except games and torture tests in prime95. If i could tell any newcommer to oc'ing, please build a relatively cheap first system, understand what you are doing and the components, then for your next rig go all out. There are so many things i would have done different now that i know better. Thanks for listening to my rant, and if you have any suggestions please help me out. I'm almost considering that other company that starts with an "I". Sorry i had to say it.
Illl trade you my 3800x2 that hits 2.7 on air :p

Whats the stepping on your processor?
Check out my x2 4800+ thread here. With my stepping I have been having excellent results on my chip thus far. With water cooling, and better delta this chip seems to perfom nicely. 12 X 233-1T @ 1.49vcore 2.8 Ghz
I am pretty sure it will go higher but this is prime stable for now:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445550&highlight=4800

Dom

Last edited:
firstdegreeab said:
I thought it was my pc3200 at 2.5-3.2-5, but i lowered the ram speed to 166 and still same thing.
This does not rule out a memory problem. You'd be better off testing your overclock with memory rated for whatever htt you're using such as pc4000. My ocz does not enjoy being run on a divider and I think that lots of memory is the same way. Try testing memory stability by using a lower cpu mulitplier, not with a divider.

Last edited:
I agree in all likelihood the problem is with your ram. 4 1 GB sticks is a lot to swallow for an A64 cpu, and even more so on an X2 IMO.

If I were you I'd do your stress testing (to find your cpu's OC) with only 2, or possibly 1 gig of ram.

When you start ramping up your cpu speed, I would keep your memory as close to its rated speeds as possible (which is 200 MHz, not 230).

Overclocking can be a tedious and frustrating process, but if you do it right it can be very rewarding in the end. Please consider my advice; if you do I think you'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration in the long run, and realize your cpu might not be so bad afterall. Good luck and please don't go Intel.

Thanks for all the quick responses. since my last post(sleeping) i've run prime at 220x12 with mem at 220 timeings @ 3-4-3-6 and no problems almost 7hours. It's probably a ram issue your right. I"m less ****ed but, and was thinking about a highter rated ram, and selling my current ram, but inorder to use the koolance liquid ram cooling i had to pry off the patriot aluminum heat sinks. Their sinks aren't held on by clips like other mfgs but wit a supper strong thermally conductive double sided tape. Anyone know were to pickup more of this tape???? In my first post when i said i wish i would have known more about oc'ing before going all out. I'm mainly talking about not buying faster rated ram. I did read allot of articles before buying my ram, but i don't thnk it's stressed enough in any article. I think that this should be a standard thing if your multiplier is upper limit locked. Especially if you don't have a cpu with a high stock multiplier. BUY FASTER RAM.

Thanks again for all the help. Again anyone know where to get themally conductive double sided tape so i can sell my ram.

Even if you had faster sticks of RAM, x4 is going to keep giving you problems. You already ran them at 166 which is well below their rated specs and it's giving you problem. My only suggestion would be to just run a good set of 2x1GB of some good sticks and forget about the other two. Unless you really need 4GB.

what is max temp for 4800x2. i'm using speed fan is that one of the better monitors any other good temp monitors? i'm crrently getting a high of 52 C. is that too high???
Thanks

firstdegreeab said:
what is max temp for 4800x2. i'm using speed fan is that one of the better monitors any other good temp monitors? i'm crrently getting a high of 52 C. is that too high???
Thanks

On air. My X2 4800+ would max out at around 48*C overclocked @ 2.7
It would idle @ 36, 38 overclocked. As of today, I am running a water loop so I cant be of any advice. :cool:

You're running a 120W video card and all that other stuff on a single 18A rail from the PSU?

I'm not surprised its fading over half an hour.

Try a single rail PSU like
PCP&C510, Silverstone ST56ZF, OCZ520PS

DeepScience said:
You're running a 120W video card and all that other stuff on a single 18A rail from the PSU?

I'm not surprised its fading over half an hour.

Try a single rail PSU like
PCP&C510, Silverstone ST56ZF, OCZ520PS

What do you mean, i'm really not that familiar with this single rail stuff. What is my seasonic 600w psu?

What's wierd is i'm currently at 232x12 with mem at pc2600 speeds and core #1 fails almost imiadialty (less than 2min)and core #2 has been running for 4 hours. Whats up with that????? It's always core #1 failing.

I had that too. Turns out my -5v is not working and the PSU needs to be RMAed. Mine is a seasonic 500w. gota replace it with an Antec

Try taking out two sticks of RAM and swapping them back and forth with the other two to see if your memory controller is crap. Also, running a dual core & high end videocard is a must for a GOOD psu.

ziggo0 said:
Try taking out two sticks of RAM and swapping them back and forth with the other two to see if your memory controller is crap. Also, running a dual core & high end videocard is a must for a GOOD psu.

I thought the Seasonic were supposed to be good psu's. At $150 i thought i was getting a good one. plus the newegg reviews were good.

firstdegreeab said:
I thought the Seasonic were supposed to be good psu's. At $150 i thought i was getting a good one. plus the newegg reviews were good.

You are right but here's my feeling: It's a dual rail supply (dual 18A) so one rail at 18A has to drive your crazy video card which is the biggest badest power sucker out there at probably 10 or 12 amps just by itself. That leaves 8A for everything else in your case. And you've got a bunch of stuff (is that water cooling?) so that leaves it way under powered IMHO.

Best to put a thread up in the PSU section and get some more feedback.

just looked into the single rail psu, the silverstone looks like the one for me. I'm supprised none of the single rail psu have 120mm fans just the rear 80mm's. The ocz's are nice to but it looks as if the silverstones are better for the price. The PCP&C psu are really expensive, i'm sure there great but just can't afford one now. Thanks for that psu clue. Why do they make dual rail psu's???? It seems to make sense cause i can run core #1 by itself at 232x12 and it's fine but after i start up core #2, core #1 fails. Maybe drawing more than 18A @12V. Not strange more than 216w between everything i'm running. Is the cpu, and vid card both on a single rail?? Isn't the pci-e on a diff rail?? not sure.

Back