• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

crappy port.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

this is the second time the asrock extreme4 z77 has a loose 8x port. and instead of sending it back the 3rd time, i think ill go ahead and just purchase an MSI board listed here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645

i bought the Asrock Extreme4 z77 last year, but i dont know if its warranty is already expired...ill check that latter because right now the 8x slot is working fine (im the guy that runs crossfire btw)

basically what happens is that after a while my games crash. i tested the primary 8x slot and it works fine. but if i try the second slot it dosent.

it seems like i have to...push the graphics card up in order to get it working just fine.

suggestions? opinions?

EDIT: i heard some whining that i think was coming fromt eh power supply. so i put the pc on its side and found the air intake being blocked by dust. i use an air can (while using a tooth pick to keep the fan from spinning) to blow out the dust. put it back on its side, installed both cards, re-setup crossfire, and i was able to play natural selection 2 just fine without freezing up.

Last edited:
Sounds like a contact issue though there is the off chance that it is in the Chips. Have you tried switching the cards?

Does the card fit firmly?

Contact cleaner and a Q-Tip may help for a card.

I will not make slot cleaning suggestions.

Sounds like a contact issue though there is the off chance that it is in the Chips. Have you tried switching the cards?

Does the card fit firmly?

Contact cleaner and a Q-Tip may help for a card.

I will not make slot cleaning suggestions.

acutally...i think it may be either the motherboard or the power supply. because it just randomly shut off and then turned back on but it didnt show any post screen.

so i shut it off again, turned it back on and its booting fine now.

i swapped cards, tested one of each in both slots, ran some games and benchmarks this entire time and it did work...and then it would freeze. like hard.

any other ideas?

EDIT: did some homework and found it could be a failing power supply.

from my understanding, it did act very differently if i used diff power connectors for the graphics cards. so im going to go ahead and buy myself another power supply and also get this one replaced...

anyone know how to test a power supply? i only have a volts meter...i think ill check my comptia book on this. ill need to jog my memory a bit.

Last edited:
Back