• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crash After Computer Sleeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TBsteve

Before anyone says "set your computer so it never sleeps," I'd rather fix the problem then brush it aside, because it isn't something small. Long story short, every time my computer goes into sleep mode, and I wake it back up, it comes back with the normal screen saver in the background, but literally turned 90 degrees so it is sideways. There are also no icons or anything, just the screen saver. I feel like there may be a simple solution with this...Or at least I hope there is one. If you want me to take a picture of it I can...Hope you guys can help! Thanks!

So after it wakes up, it doesn't crash, it just rotates the screen and doesn't fully load?

Check the system log to see if there are any errors being thrown (software/system logs). If it does it all the time and there are no useful error logs, I would start by updating drivers for everything and disabling any non-Microsoft services/programs using "msconfig" to see if that helps. Also try disconnecting any USB devices, except for a keyboard/mouse.

Is this for the system in your signature or for a laptop?

Sorry that is true I apologize, it does just rotate and fails to load anything else. Yes it is the desktop I have in my signature. I will try without any USB plug-ins. I don't really know how to check system logs. I can build a computer but once I turn it on I am a failure :(

Sorry that is true I apologize, it does just rotate and fails to load anything else. Yes it is the desktop I have in my signature. I will try without any USB plug-ins. I don't really know how to check system logs. I can build a computer but once I turn it on I am a failure :(
I don't mind helping out, but you can usually find these things by doing a quick search. You are not a failure at this, not even close. You just need to take some time to think about it. I assume you are running Windows 7, so the way I found the below link was by searching "windows 7 log", and it was the first result. It tells you what each of the different sections are and how to get to the Event Viewer.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-information-appears-in-event-logs-event-viewer

Don't fall into the "learned helplessness" mode where you automatically assume that since you don't intrinsically know how to do something, you won't ever be able to. No one knows anything without research (either looking up information, doing it themselves, or thinking about it).

It is perfectly acceptable to try a few searches, and failing to find anything there, ask for help. But straight up asking for help without research (with a self-deprecating attitude) is generally frowned upon here. We like helping people out, but we would rather see people try to help themselves first. :)

I understand man, I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I have to be honest, I've been helped here successfully and by nice people so many times that I usually just go straight to a question in a thread if I have a problem. I don't stop to think that it might have been answered elsewhere. I will work on this and get back to you. Thanks again!

I just looked and I have a metric* *** ton of errors. There have already been 8 since I turned it on this morning :/ Should I let my computer go to sleep so I can reboot when it messes up and see what the exact error message is???

Last edited:
I just looked and I have a metro *** ton of errors. There have already been 8 since I turned it on this morning :/ Should I let my computer go to sleep so I can reboot when it messes up and see what the exact error message is???
If you aren't sure the exact time that it threw the error, trigger the error then check the log. Otherwise you are just guessing at which are relevant.

Windows 7 has lots of annoying bugs that make it normal to get a lot of errors in the event log. It seems that some were introduced with SP1. Microsoft seems to have rushed Windows 7. :(

Even with a fresh Windows 7 installation, I'm guaranteed to get WMI errors.

There's also another bug that causes a "Crash dump initialization failed!" error message in the event log. Reported to be caused by a kernel security update hotfix. :(

Back