• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

critique of The Witcher 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SHODAN

I recently played The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. I had certain reactions to it, and I would like to know if others shared them, or if I am peculiar.

I don't play many games, so I don't have a lot to compare to, other than older games.

I am complaining, but that doesn't mean I didn't like the game. Rather, since I found some aspects of it very good, it's flaws are more apparent. In all it's a great game and I'm glad I played it, but I think it could have been much better.

The combat was great and I have no real complaints. I wish that the swordwork and footwork was a little more manual, and less point-at-the-enemy-and-press-attack, but this was probably a reasonable tradeoff given the Signs, bombs and traps we could use.

My primary complaint is that I found movement in the game very restrictive. This is a problem that goes all the way back to early games like DOOM 1: you're playing a bad-*** character, and yet you can't step over a knee-high wall. I really think we should be past this by now, in all games. In TW2 I was very frustrated by the preset paths you must walk and not deviate from. Having to walk the long way around a switchback instead of just jumping down a two foot ledge badly breaks the sense of immersion for me. The character is able to climb and jump at only a few specified ledges.

In Morrowind I could go basically where I wanted within the abilities of the character. The character never felt as agile as Geralt, and yet could do far more. If the open terrain model of Morrowind is not an option, movement still need not feel so restricted. In Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, one of my favorite games, you are basically following a predetermined path, which could be seen as more restrictive than TW2, yet it felt much more free to me, because of the way the character acrobatically navigated the terrain, and the ability to make incorrect moves.

Seeing how other aspects of games have developed over the years, why am I still fighting to get Geralt to step over a log, or hack through a few small shrubs that are in the way, or climb a hillside that I easily could in real life, or walk out into a river, or many other things that I was unable to do in TW2? I want to be climbing around in the trees like Tarzan, not because the developers determined that at that point in the game is the predetermined path forward, but just because I can.

== Spoilers below ==

My second major complaint is what I guess are known as "quicktime events." I absolutely despise these. Few things are more annoying than having to mash button X repeatedly, or hit button Y at just the right time, to essentially move the cinematics forward. Bloody hell, if there is no choice in it then just DO IT FOR ME. Sometimes they were merely annoying such as having to repeatedly mash a button to open a door, or wind the ballista, or subdue the elf, etc. Why not one click to instruct Geralt? I think he can handle the rest. Other times these were outright exasperating. I fought the Kayran multiple times and never won. I could cut off three limbs fairly easily, and then nothing I tried did any good. Guess what, I was missing "quicktime" cues to initiate and walk through a cutscene. I hated that. Either take over and finish it for me, or give me a way to win inside the normal game mechanics. Later in the game the character was arrested in Loc Muinne. After a grizzly scene, he was executed. Okay, so that's not supposed to happen, try something else, right? Nope, once again I missed some damn quicktime cue during the cutscene. This has to be one the worst game mechanics I have ever seen.

I don't like the way the game cheats with predetermined outcomes. In the first fight with Letho (after a couple of tries) I was winning, and then it gives me a cutscene of Geralt losing. Either allow losing to move the game forward (which it does not), or let a win be a win. I also hate the way that attacking the guards results in being shot full of arrows without a fight. Geralt can fight a dragon, or a draug, or a bunch of elven archers, or the Kayran, or a 350 pound witcher, but confront few guards in a camp when the game doesn't want you to and he's a sitting duck. I think that's crap. If you want to take on Henselt's army, then the game should allow it. Bring on the 5,000 troops! Unless you're a gaming god, the outcome will be the same, and without cheating the player.

I don't know why the Roche path is even in the game. I felt that I was lead into this on the first play, and yet it was a lot less enjoyable than siding with the elves.

The graphics, while amazingly detailed, somehow did not impress me the way they should. This is quite subjective, but I found myself looking around and thinking "this is beautiful" less often that I did playing modded Morrowind, or some other old games. I am not sure why. I think perhaps there is too much glow, etc., which detracts from a sense of scale and realism.

For example, in this image I find it hard to even tell what I am looking at:
1785326-witcher2_07_super.jpg

This image seems busy and lacks depth. At a small size it does not look like much:
witcher2_2011_05_17_21_40_36_641.jpg

It shouldn't be, but I feel as though the simplistic graphics in some older games like KotOR had more emotional impact. I would like to understand why, and I don't think it is merely rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

The vulgar language in Flotsam and military camp in the Roche path did not add to the game. It made the game world a less enjoyable place to be.

Finally, if they insist on putting a lot of breasts in a game, they should also make them move like real ones.

Last edited:
I love the game, but find it very hard. I guess im just not good at games like this.
I thought the combat was one of the worst parts, not because of the way they implmeneted it, but just because it felt "laggy" like I was pressin the attack button but it took a while before Geralt reacted.

The graphics were good, but could have been better. I was impressed for dx9 though...

I completely agree with the movement thing. I found it annoying and I was in total disbelief right off the bat with that.
I guess you cant have it all in a game.

Of the games you have played, what has the best 3rd person combat? I think I know what you mean about the lag, but after a while I just accepted that it was an automatic-attack game. Riposte timing seemed okay, so I don't think it was actually laggy. Perhaps my "more manual" would also translate to "less lag" for you. I was happy with the combat because of the extras, and I rarely felt that I was fighting Geralt, unlike the general world movement.

SHODAN, I am SO on your side here regarding your W2 opinion, there are no words for it, dude. A rippoff of many games with confusing quick time events, breasts everywhere for no reason, confusing everything, and yes, sometimes you don't even know what you are looking at. And why ARE certain parts even in there, or not explained well? This game should have been called Syriana ;) It's pretty, but not pretty enough to impress. Impressive, but too confusing to stay that way, and generally feels like a mis-assembled puzzle. High five.

I guess are known as "quicktime events." I absolutely despise these. Few things are more annoying than having to mash button X repeatedly, or hit button Y at just the right time, to essentially move the cinematics forward. Bloody hell, if there is no choice in it then just DO IT FOR ME.

W O R D ! Death to quicktime events in videogames I say! Here here!

Last edited:
-My primary complaint is that I found movement in the game very restrictive.

-Having to walk the long way around a switchback instead of just jumping down a two foot ledge badly breaks the sense of immersion for me.

-My second major complaint is what I guess are known as "quicktime events." I absolutely despise these. Few things are more annoying than having to mash button X repeatedly, or hit button Y at just the right time, to essentially move the cinematics forward.

-Geralt can fight a dragon, or a draug, or a bunch of elven archers, or the Kayran, or a 350 pound witcher, but confront few guards in a camp when the game doesn't want you to and he's a sitting duck. I think that's crap. If you want to take on Henselt's army, then the game should allow it. Bring on the 5,000 troops! Unless you're a gaming god, the outcome will be the same, and without cheating the player.

-I am not sure why. I think perhaps there is too much glow, etc., which detracts from a sense of scale and realism.

The vulgar language in Flotsam and military camp in the Roche path did not add to the game. It made the game world a less enjoyable place to be.

Finally, if they insist on putting a lot of breasts in a game, they should also make them move like real ones.

i agree on everything quoted here, especially the breasts =)

Alright, so at least a few people agree with me.

What I find strange is that the game gets a lot of hard and expensive parts right, but fails some basic gameplay mechanics. The game has very good voice acting, beautifully detailed clothing and armor, fluid animation, and is reasonably balanced. I think this game desperately needed good direction to fix the issues I described, and I don't think it would have cost that much to do, other than I perhaps my nebulous complaint about emotional impact in the graphics.

What game should I play next?

Back