• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critque My Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

feenauel

Registered
I am budgeting for $800 (max $1000, but would have to save more). I am going to be using Win XP Pro (Possibly dual boot Vista, eventually). I have no intentions to OC until my rig shows signs of its age. I play WoW, UT2k4, CS:S, but mainly multitask (music, gaming, surfing)

Radeon X1950XT 256MB Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (PRT) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35

Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 Conroe 1.86GHz (Upgrade in time, for sure! Could I suffer on a cheaper CPU to get something else, I'm upgrading anyways)

ATX Genesis PC Case-Black

Suggestions for $50-100 PSU?
Was considering XCLIO GOODPOWER 500W

Total after rebates + shipping (inc power supply):

Have Hanns-G 19'', Keyboard, Mouse, Thermal Paste, Optical Drive (CD Burner). Would I be lacking anything small like cabling? I dont know much about cooling, would this be enough? (Can I fit the 8800GTS if i get one, eventually?) Thanks so much OC'ers!!

Last edited:
I have one already, I bought it for my current rig, and plan to use it in my new one. I'll edit and include it. Thanks.

if you can stretch your PSU budget by a bit, buy a corsair 520HX (made by seasonic). it will last you quite a while. if you must get something lower in price. antec earthwatts/neo HEs, sparkle, FSP all make great ~500w power supplies. you can fit an 8800 GTS if you get one, but you'll definitely need a more powerful PSU from the get-go, unless you'd want to buy another PSU later on. most cables you need will likely come with your motherboard, and the others with certain hardware. I wouldn't worry about buying extra cables unless you want to have them just in case

After doing the math with PSU calculator I figured out C2D with extra heavy loads (compared to what i use, what I'll need) - It says 518W. Is 550W enough or should I go 600W?

I will post in a few (edit) some of the top choices in consideration for PSU's I would go. Any recommendations, of thoughts or any worthy of nomination not listed?

Last edited:
i don't have any experience with it but everyone here recommends the corsair 520 or 620hx. the 520 is in stock at clubit for 89.99. the 620 is currently sold out but is 109.99.

depending on the brand and manufacturer, take the wattage ratings with a grain of salt. take a look in the case and power supplies sub-forum here, there are a few great threads on psu manufacturers you should look at. basically, a 500w-600w from a bad psu brand may not even be able to handle 400w, and can consquently fry your brand new computer. You don't want to skimp on your PSU. Seasonic, Enermax, Fortron Source power/FSP, Corsair, and certain Antecs are ones you should consider.

with the setup you currently have in your first post, a corsair 520HX will run that with ease.

the corsairs are nice, some of the seasonics (-zf's i think), and the antec neoHE's are decent: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103940

pc power and cooling is always good. Some of the FSP Group psu's are good for their price too.

if you click the buyers guide link in my sig, there is a ranking done by one of the more knowledgable members, Oklahoma Wolf.

If you're interested in getting a cheaper CPU the E21X0... these have been OC'ing like mad on stock cooling, can't imagine how well they'd do on a decent HSF. Best I can get out of my E6400 is about 3.1ghz before I'm pushing over 1.4v into it, where as these can get up to 3.0ghz usually pretty easy.

Fry's right now has the E6320 with the ECS PT890T-A board for $139.99. That is $25 cheaper than Newegg and it includes a free board.

Back