• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire 5770's or single 5850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eclipse07

Registered
which way do you guys think i should go. Should i do two 5770's in crossfire or just buy a single 5850. I read that crossfiring two 5770's is almost like having one 5870 so it sounds like the better way to go but im not sure so im asking you guys.

I would go 5850... then another 5850 later on... it's a really good card and a great clocker!!

I say two 5770s, you can get both when a sale is going on for $300. A single 5850 is $300.

I would say go with the 5850 aswell. Two 5770 may be faster (and most games do scale well nowadays) but whats up with getting a single 5850 now, that should handle most games fine. Then get crossfire that when you feel the need too,

I would say the mojority of modern games scale well. Unless Xfire is worse than sli?

I personally would take any bench from tomshardware with a pinch of salt. Guru3d is my place of choice for 3D benchies. And our members right here ofcourse :) :beer:

Guru3d only use benchmarks that scale with the product there advertising and that is cheating the results for everyone. I would take Guru3d with a grain of salt. If they would do allot of advertizing like toms hardware I might not see the only support they have is the free video cards they get for advertizing.

Thing I like about toms hardware is he does not give a hoot on how the results turn out, he makes you decide. Some people don't like that site because the truth hurts when the product you own looks bad on a bench.

When you see a review you have to ask your self how dose the site support it's self, there is usually a slant for advertizing, it cant be helped.

Technology and programming actually moves slow through the years, with toms hardware I can see the actual scaling of that, who else would dare to show that kind of information. that defiantly does not sell products.:soda:

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I've seen many games/benchmarks run at guru3d that don't scale well. And they always point out when a game does not scale very well. I very much dought that guru3d cherry pick their testing methods to stay away from scaling problems.

I'm sorry but I've seen many games/benchmarks run at guru3d that don't scale well. And they always point out when a game does not scale very well. I very much dought that guru3d cherry pick their testing methods to stay away from scaling problems.
I though you just said above most games games scale well, I just cant help it LOL.:)

Most games do, If you look around at most of the benchies then you will find there are more games that take advantage of a multi GPU setup than games that don't.

I would always recommend going single card rather than multi-GPU if the performance would be similar tho. As I have in this thread.

I maybe should of said many "tests" not many "games" lol. I see your point there. Just my bad wording :beer:

the thing is if i buy a 5850 i wont be able to crossfire it until next year because its a pretty expensive card and i wanted the best possible performance i get especially since i GTA IV which i have been reading need a good gpu. I also Call Of Duty and want to play Just Cause 2. I figured crossfiring would be alot better then a 5850 from what i read crossfiring 5770's is like having a 5870.

I use two 5770's and at most they get up to 69c and use very little power to reach it. I get over 12k score in SM3.0 for 3DMark06. Also I guess they say it helps to have 2 videocards if you have 2 monitors instead of having 1 card and 2 monitors.. But I dont know if you run 2. I also ripped through Bad Company 2 on 1 5770 fairly well, with 2 I never even notice problem.

just wondering can a overclocked 5870 be on par with a 5970. I think im going to get the 5850 i guess if i ever need better performance ill jump to crossfire setup with another 5850

just wondering can a overclocked 5870 be on par with a 5970. I think im going to get the 5850 i guess if i ever need better performance ill jump to crossfire setup with another 5850

The 5970 has two GPU's you can't mach it with one GPU on the 5870 overclocked.

ok i am going to buy a 5850 is there a certain one i should get for overclocking or do they all overclock well really dont want to go over $300 i found a couple on newegg that are under $300 just making sure if i need to get a certain one for overclocking.

are those two the only choices for best overclockers or are there more

Back