• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire Help: Gigabyte 7950 + AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 infinite bios boot loop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

player1

I am trying to crossfire two Gigabyte 7950s with my AsRock z77 extreme 4 motherboard. I plugged both cards in (with and without the crossfire bridge) and every time I boot I get stuck in an infinite bios boot loop. The bios splash screen flashes and the reboots and I never get into windows. My machine boots to windows fine with one card ( doesn't matter witch card or which PCI Express slot. )

I called Microcenter and they suggested that i swap my Thermaltake smart series 750watt power supply for a larger one. So i picked up a Corsair TX850M but it still doesn't work.

I have the latest bios version froma Asrock for the extreme4 (v1.80) I have also tried uninstalling all catalyst drivers and booting to onboard graphics. If both cards are plugged in and I am using onboard graphics the machine goes into infinite loop.

Also I can get into bios and view the system browser. If I have both cards plugged in they both show up as being detected in the pci-3 slots so I don't think it is a bad slot/card.

Is there some bios setting I am missing here. I have checked the North bridge configuration and graphics is set to PCIE

Does anyone have any idea on what to do. I am thinking its a bad motherboard. If this is the case, I find it odd that both PCI express slots work fine though. Is there anything else I can try before I take the motherboard back.

Full specs are bellow:

Corsair 600t Corsair H80 Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 Corsair Force 3 SSD Corsair TX850M Gigabyte 7950 Windforce x2 AsRock z77 Extreme 4 Intel i5 3570K

I would try bumping the VTT voltage (which controls the PCI-E and DMI interfaces) from the default of Auto (1.076V) to 1.15-1.20V. Do this w/ only one GPU installed, then shut down the system and install the 2nd card w/ the bridge installed. And if you haven't already, you might want to check out this thread over at Overclock.net...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1254599/official-asrock-z77-discussion-owners-club

Back