• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair IV Formula + FX 6350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DRaZZ

Hi guys, have any of you used this combination of board and chip? Or indeed ANY of the piledriver FX series of chips? As far as i am aware i can update my C4F bios to run these chips but are there any performance, overclocking or compatability issues when doing so?
I want to update my old Phenom II as i have just bought a HD 7950 and know my processor is now a serious bottleneck, i dont want to upgrade my motherboard if i can help it though.
So any info on the C4F board using the new FX chips would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
DRaZZ

IN the AMD Cpu Forum section, about 1.5 years ago when the Bulldozers came out, there was a CHlV used with an FX8150. It did okay. Honestly after that user came and went; I cannot actually remember a user reporting the CHlV and FX processor.

When you put the water block on FX processor the VRMs suffer heat soaking if the VRMs are not given some air circulation by a purpose use fan. The dang FX processors are probably 3 times hotter than you ever imagined.

Generally speaking we have come to the conclusion that a good 4 core Deneb processor at 4.0Ghz-ish was equal to an FX processor at roughly 4.6Ghz-ish. So it maybe more like a toss-up or roll of the dice as to whether an FX 6 core processor is going to remove a suspected bottle-neck of your new video card. And getting rid of FX heat is going to have to be looked at straight on from the get go.
RGone...

Well i have water cooling, i have a fan placed to cool my C4F's northbridge too, as the nb is usually cooled from the outflow of air from a heatsink. My watercooling only has a cpu block in its rig and im adding an aditional 240 rad, so that will give me equivalent of one 320 radiator which should be plenty to rid the heat of a processor i think.
As for the guy using an FX8150, those processors are listed on the C4F's proc support page, it lists the bulldozer cpu's but doesnt list the piledriver cpu's, thats why im asking if anyone has used a piledriver such as the FX6350, i want to make sure i can use this chip before i buy it and that it wont be held back in performance due to lack of support or anything. The piledrivers are AM3+ cpu's just like the bulldozers, which is why im guesing you can use them on the C4F. I would just like to hear from someone that has actually done this before spending my money :)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ks-in-the-CROSSHAIR-IV-EXTREME-Bios-Ver.-3027

FX-8350 Processor works in the CROSSHAIR IV EXTREME Bios Ver. 3027

I think you will have a problem waiting on someone to come into this forum section reporting Vishera and CHlV are a good match.

You can check out that link above for CHlV and FX-8350. Two things still hit me in the face. The cooling that user has and the mention of no setting in bios for disabling APM.

Googling Vishera and CHlV is more likely to get you a response than having some wandering user come in here and say they have the setup you wish to use. That no bios menu to disable APM was a big killer using the FX processors and Gigabyte for one had to release a different PCB revision to get that into the bios menu since it is a total beeatch without it in bios.

Thanks for that info mate. Im not sure if you'd know but.... If i DID use a 6350 in this C4F with my 7950, am i going to see a noticeable increase in gaming? Or would i just be spending another £100 for 5-10% more gaming grunt?
Also, if i bought a C5F and a 6350, would that give me a big boost to gaming performanc or am i just flogging a dead horse? I know if i got an i7 and an intel board i would get a massive increase in gaming, thats not an option for this build though.
I have my quad core phenom II at 4ghz, so im a little worried that even if i got a new mobo and a 6350 that i wont see a big difference anyway. Id hate to spend all that money only to find that i still cant run the latest games at max settings despite a high end card and mid to high end amd cpu!

With a decent WC setup, you should be able to run ~4.8GHz 24/7 on the 6350 without a hitch. If that's the case, you should see some boost in a game, not sure of the % number behind it though.

If you do any heavy multitasking or video encoding though, the 6350 will wipe that PII out though.

Drazz, I don't feel you'll see much difference gaming with an Fx chip nor an Intel chip while using 1 Gpu if the games are Gpu dependent. Maybe a couple of FPS at best. It is only when you start using multiple Gpu's that you'll see a real difference, in Gpu based games. On the other hand if the game is a Cpu dependent game you may but I don't play any heavily Cpu based games. For instance I play Bf3 at 1680/1050 screen resolution on the following rigs, a 955 @ 4.0, Fx 8350 @ 4.7 and I5 2500k @ 4.5 all with my Gtx 580 or my Ati 5850. I don't see any real difference on any of the rigs while playing.

Well the reason im concerned about performance is because yesterday my MSI 7950 Twin Frozr III 3gb card arrived. I installed it and have hardly seen any increase in fps in my games. This 7950 is quite a lot more powerful than my old 5870 1gb card so i can only assume that my PII x2 555BE (unlocked to quad core) running at 4x 4ghz, is the bottleneck that is restricting my 7950 a hell of a lot. So my plan was to get a FX6350 and overclock as high as possible and i was hoping this would free my new card up to destroy games again :) Now im not so sure what to do : /

I'm not sure what revision board here, but I do know the Crosshair IV's early revisions had a NB temp issue, so that's one thing you need to keep an eye on. Other than that, it's an outstanding board.

2 cents just in case.

Yea i have the later revision mate, the NB issue was just to the stand offs not letting the heatpipe contact the chip correctly, i have checked for this and also got rid of the crap paste n replaced it with arctic silver. Thanks anyway tho matey

Yea i have the later revision mate, the NB issue was just to the stand offs not letting the heatpipe contact the chip correctly, i have checked for this and also got rid of the crap paste n replaced it with arctic silver. Thanks anyway tho matey

K just making sure. Enjoy the board. My brother had the same one, had the issue too!

Great board, OCed like a champ!

Hey Drazz, read this up! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/piledriver-k10-cpu-overclocking,3584-19.html

I too was considering and am just now sold on upgrading from my P2 970 x4 to the 6350, so long as I can oc it way better on this same board (CHIV formula)

I was actually considering moving onto Intel's 3570k instead -seen as how for the same price as the 8350, except for the purchase of a new mobo, you get better performance than a 8350.

But for gaming; if I can get away with the same performance with the 6350 as the 3570k or the 8350, and get to keep using this feature rich mobo that's already bought and paid for, then that's what I am now going to do as soon as they're in stock at www.canadacomputers.com

If your wallet's really burning that bad then it now seems like it's worth the risk to me. Buy the processor, know its specs, voltages and clock settings, drop it in the board, hopefully it boots, check the settings in bios to make sure nothing's crazy.

If any that fails, go buy a new board too anyway. An AsRock 970 Extreme3 board is about half the price of the processor in question! Though you'll probably want a board that supports PCI express 3.0.

AsRock 970 Extreme3 << That though has proven from the first FX processor to be a bonafide pain in the booty to try and overclock a 6 core and certainly an 8 core cpu. The VRMs are just too weak to hold up to a pushed FX processor.
RGone...

As a recent user of both a 965 and an FX 6300 I have to tell you that it's really all in how you use your pc.

If you want to strictly bench a game like BF3 in an ideal setting then you will see that a 965 and fx 6300 clocked the same, the 965 will be better.

The tricky part is OCing the deneb chips to 4ghz and up and making it stable. That is going to be your experience if you upgrade.

So far I have only found one game (Planetside2) which seems to benefit from the extra cores.

I picked the 6300 because it's rated at 95w which gives you a lot of room temp wise and I think it's the sweet spot price wise.

I wouldn't skimp out on the mobo as others said because FX's run very hot.

Back