• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crosshair iv formula O/C questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had a Panaflo medium sitting around and used it but almost anything will do. It's like a heater core for water cooling - the more fan you throw at it the more it cools. :) Did you read muddocktor's heatsink review? It was on the front page awhile back ...

http://www.overclockers.com/premium-heatsink-shootout/

I don't think Sidewinders carries bad fans - it's a great place to shop ...!

Last edited:
Do you think that heatsink would block any of the pci-e slots on the corsshair, with my cooler I have about 2 inches of clearance between the heatsink and my vid card in the 1st slot.

what fans are you using with your true? are the fans shown on that site you linked me any good?

Well, in one of the pictures you can see how much room I have between my cooler and GFX. I can not see how it would be an issue for Crossfire, since the second card would go under the top one.

Only thing I would ahve to stress is make sure your ram does not stick up too much. My ram is 40mm tall, which is short enough to fit under the fan and heatsink.

I have the TRUE Black Rev. C installed on my 1075T in the Crosshair IV Formula. I have a pair of CoolerMaster Red R4 fans in push pull. My G.Skill Flares have decently tall heatsinks on them, and with the fan's installed it blocked the first orange slot closest to the CPU. And the fan is about 1-2mm away from the RAMsinks lol. So, I run my sticks in the black slots. If there is supposed to be a performance difference between orange and black slots, I have no idea what it would be, since I've only had the RAM installed this way, but my performance is top notch.. I couldn't ask for better results from this rig. :D

Here's some pics for reference.

0f3a3034.jpg
f01c7a6e.jpg

on the crosshair the black slots are the correct ones so your ok there lol, I'm test driving a h70 for a couple days to see where the limit is before the voltage requirements get crazy, so far I'm 25min into prime at 4ghz with 1.4350v my coretemps peaked at 46c but sat at 45 most of the time which was a huge improvement over my zalman which would bounce around from 54 to 56c at 1.4v. I can only imagine how much better it would be with decent fans, I took my antec fan out of the back and plugged it in with the switch on medium which is around 1200rpm I think but it was pushing more air than the corsair was at 2000 rpms and sounding like a hairdryer.

If I can talk this guy into giving it to me for $50ish I'll take it and get some good fans for it but my only gripe is the plastic backplate flexes a little when you start tightening it down so I'll see how far I can push it before I get back into the 50c range.

Back