• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CRT shadowing causes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

ok today i grandmas old monitor, which isnt really that old and being 22 inches i couldnt pass it up for free.

any way its got a bad shadowing issue, i tried all the settings and everything except the other input (has 2 vga inputs) the monitor shows up as a Dell P1110 its a flat tube trinitron.

how can i fix the shadowing?

i tried all the internal settings of the monitor and vidoecard corrections and still...its there at and res and any refresh rate. i had an old monitor that shadowed but only on things like text and in game it wasnt noticeable but this one i can see it in-game and everything

theres not choke on the cable and it uses a male male ended cable so i can replace it, think it would help? or is it shadowing because its been sitting off almost all its life?

i'm confused

The only time i've had that problem is when i was using a cheap vga cable or male/female vga extension cable....so yea definitely swap it out if you haven't tried it yet. When you say "no choke" on the cable i believe you mean "ferrite core" which is supposed to reduce interference, and hopefully help with the shadowing issue.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...0105&p_id=85&style=&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

A few things to consider when buying a vga cable:

- The shorter length the better, especially when running higher resolutions
- Try to stay away from those dvi~vga adapters, especially when running a higher resolution
- The cables needs to be engineered well, with decent insulation and ferrite cores are often necessary.

Back