• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial P5 M.2 SSD and Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamie6870

Registered
Hello,
A question... of course.
I have a Crucial P5 500GB M.2 SSD and in HDtune the speed fluctuates from 200mb/sec - 800 mb/sec with outliers to the 1250 mb/sec.
Little constant in other words.

In another PC I have a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD and this one gives a tight line of close to 1600 mb/sec.
Both are in a PC with i5 10600K, windows 10pro, both a Gigabyte Z490. One a UD type and the other in an AORUS ELITE AC.
For the Samsung SSD I was able to install drivers from Samsung, for the Crucial I don't think they exist, or I can't find them.

Does anyone have an idea for me? Or advice.
Addition..., both have 16GB DDR4 (plugged in the same way), also both have a 600W power supply, both even in the same case.
Video cards take little to no power.... One uses only onboard video (SSD Samsung) the other (with Crucial SSD) an Nvidia 1650. It's just a matter of being patient for the right video cards for both......

p500.jpg

I recommend to use something else than hdtune. It's an old benchmark, not even designed for SSD, and often gives weird results. Check ATTO, Crystal Disk Mark, even Anvil's Storage Utilities (even though some results are sometimes weirdly low) or anything else that you can see in SSD reviews of respectable websites.
In a typical work or gaming, both these SSD should be comparable. At least this is what you will see in some synthetic and mixed load benchmarks which simulate daily work like PCMark 8/10. Crucial generally heats up less. This is what I noticed in my tests.

Okay, thank you!
I honestly admit, HDDtune I have indeed had for years and years.
And now for the first time an SSD.
And as usual used HDD tune.
But, I'm going to download ATTO.

Meanwhile, I had even created a Windows10 USB, and booted my PC with it.
But here the same result. Of course with HDDtune so....
I will let you know.

The values of ATTO with and without Bypass Write Cache are almost the same.

p500ATTOb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back