• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial RMA gone wrong/RAM question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Hey everyone,

My good old Crucial Ballistix 1gb kit (pc3200) yes that is DDR 1! Has died on me, well not died but my pc kept crashing and stuff and random reboots, so I ran memtest and the ram gave errors. I decided to RMA it but thats where things went wrong.

Turns out crucial doesnt make ballistix for DDR1 anymore so they told me they had nothing to send me but decided to give me a 70$ credit for their store... We all know the prices of DDR1, wth am I gonna get for 70$???

I wouldnt have minded paying the extra 30$ or so for some ballistix again but they dont make it! So I got stuf spending my 70$ on this stuff:

# Module Size: 1GB
# Package: 184-pin DIMM
# Feature: DDR PC3200
# Specs: DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR400 • 2.6V • 128Meg x 64

Only thing I could get on the site with the 70$, I would have taken 2gb of it but I don't really have money to put into this system. So Crucial send me from some 2-2-2-5 ballistix to some of this 3 i donno what ram...

Anyone ever have any experience with this Crucial ram? I don't think its the crappy rendition stuff so maybe it could be ok? Anyone ever use it?

I'll probably end up running a huge multiplier on this stuff and that will be that.

Thanks

Dang!

300+ at 1T was very, very good.

What kind of voltage did it take to reach those clocks?

As for the new stuff, what's the coding on the chips? I'm guessing that it doesn't have spreaders and you'll be able to read the chip's coding. That would be helpful.

I'm kinda surprised that Crucial couldn't repair or replace the modules, even today. You would think that a certain number of ICs were would have been retained for warranty purposes(after all, they do warranty them for life, don't they?).

Also, you may want to contact this member and find out just what size modules he had to RMA...they gave him 2x$60 for a total of $120 store credit, but I don't know if his were 2x512MB or 2x1GB sticks. If his were the same as yours, you might want to complain a little louder.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5513541#post5513541

Yeah I saw his thread, I think he had 2x1gb, i talked to them for like 45 minutes trying to get more money out of them but they wouldn't budge lol.

As for the coding on the chips I don't have them yet, should be in on thursday/friday (hopefully)

I was also surprised they didn't have some lying around that they could ship me, and no ballistix have a limited 2 year warranty or something, all other crucial products are lifetime.

As for what voltage they were running, it was a while ago that I had them running that way, I didnt leave them that high. I honestly don't remember and I don't want to mislead you. Once I get my ram at the end of the week and my system running again I can dig around my screenshots see if I can find it.

Ah ok maybe they are, either way they are gone for good and I'm sad :'(

What kind of chips should I hope to be on this 1gb pc3200? Micron 5B C or Micron 5B G?

Which micron chips are known to clock well?

Another question, would I have been better off ordering the 2x512mb kit? (it was about 10 dollars more) or was I right in choosing the 1gb stick? Which setup generally clocks better 2x512 or 1x 1gb?

Back