• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis 2 - Freezes (ATi)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Synthetic87

Hi guys,

I've only just purchased Crysis 2 on Steam and already having a major issue. It seems that Crysis 2 is synonymous with graphical issues, so wading through the forums for an answer becomes much more of a problem.
The reason I've joined Overclockers specifically, is because I noticed another user with a similar problem. (RE: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672979)

Crysis has been freezing during single and multi player. Sometimes it freezes, goes black for 5 seconds with the sound continuing in the background and the screen flickers before returning to normal game play. Sometimes it freezes with sound still playing, and I am unable to CTRL+ALT+DEL or ALT+TAB out of it, which forces me to reset my PC.

Tonight I downloaded Catalyst 11.3, as I was using a previous version that came with my new 6970, which I had professionally installed 2 weeks ago.

Now when it freezes, I am able to ALT+TAB to find an error message "The display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered". Which is, like the poster of the aforementioned thread said; "Really annoying!"

My system specs are as follows;

I<strong></strong>ntel Phenom X4 810 2.6ghz
ATi (I<strong></strong>ntel) Gigabyte 6970 2GB (Overclocked to 950/1440mhz using Catalyst)
6gb 1333hz RAM

Typically my GPU sits around 80 degrees under full load and around 35-39 at idle. I'm really trying to avoid re-installation, as I've downloaded the game from steam, and this would involve having to download it again.

If anyone has had the same problem, and has a solution. Or if you need more information on my problem, or maybe you know a thread already open with this exact issue, please post!

Thanks in advance,

Synthetic87

** EDIT

I restored factory settings on my 6970 Graphics card and so far, so good. I will re-post in a day or two if I find I am still having any major errors. I am, however, still having a minor issue. When I load the game, as the game starts you see the Cryengine Logo (The blue eye). This screen takes literally 25 seconds to load, before moving on. Anyone else get this?

Also, this may prove useful to people with an issue similar to mine. http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=645774

Why does "I<strong></strong>ntel" get replaced with "A<strong></strong>MD" when it's posted? <- Huh? I actually typed those nouns the other way around :S Strange, but amusing.

Last edited:
That definitely sounds like a GPU issue. You mentioned it is overclocked, does it exhibit this behavior when running at stock settings? If you take the side of your case off, does that help as well?

i have the same exact problem but it does it with almost every game i play. it will do it once and not do it again until i start the computer up. ive never been able to figure it out, ive tried several drivers none of it has fixed the problem. pretty sure its the drivers since you have a newer card...i have the 5770.

honestly im thinking hard about ditching the ATI and going nvidia because this is rediculous. ive also tried emailing AMD support and never heard back.

EDIT: i will also add that my card is not overclocked and never has been. temps are fine.

I would suggest downloading Radeon Pro and force the Bioshock Anti-Aliasing profile. My friend was having a similar issue with his 6950 and forcing the profile worked for him.

Have you tried the 11.4 Cat Betas that are out? Its the one with the new CCC panel?

Back