• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crystal orb on radeon 9700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathknight

Will a crystal orb fit on a radeon 9700? Is it even advisable(like does it perform better than the stock fan that ati provides).

Thanks!

Klownin79 said:
Well in Maximum PC they show that Voodoo, Alienware and Falcon are all using a 9700 Pro with a crystal orb.

Hrm yeah I have seen posts on these boards now that I searched more showing people using it.

I just got a crystal orb and compared the mounting holes on the orb to the board and they both line up. Obviously the chips outer dimensions need to be within the size range of these holes because the stock HSF would not fit otherwise. So I don't see what the problem would be?

My main issue now is getting the stock HSF off. I can't figure how to get the 2 plastic rods that hold the HSF to the board off. I think the tip is supposed to squeeze together to fit back through (like the one on the crystal orb) but it doesn't look quite the same on the stock one and squeezing hasn't worked so far for me.

I was ganna use that orb on my ti 4600 but people told me not to its worse than the hsf alreadyon. So think first the ti 4600 uses about 70 watts of eltricity the 9700 pro usues about 100.

Do you see what im saying if people say no for the ti4600 why use it on the hotter 9700 pro ?

Hrm well the 9700 hsf is not whats on the 4600 so its a hard comparison to make ;)

Does anyone have the exact stats on the fan that is on the 9700? I had gotten the model # offof it but the adda website was sorta confusing. I think I found the correct page eventually but the page was under construction :(

Back